OT: We Really Need A OT.Net Forum For These

Aabeck

Opened a panel today and found a blown fuse, that they said keeps blowing for some unknown reason.

The panel is 240V, but one of the FRN-R-70 fuses was replaced with a 70A 700 volt fuse that was just a little shorter. (Cut cable to a motor still blew it though)

0823171506.jpg

Voltage is only relevant in that the voltage rating rating of the fuse you use is the same or higher than the voltage rating of the supply. So a 700V rated fuse in a 240V application is perfectly fine, just not the other way around.

The fuse in your photo however is a 60A fuse, so blowing in a 70A application is not at all unusual...

What's a fuse?

That's the thing you replace with a random heavy duty object when motors keep stopping unwantedly?

fuses.jpg

Years back I was asked to check a spot welder the night shift had a problem with blowing the 300 amp fuse (single phase so only 1 fuse) but they finally got it running - just wanted me to see if I could find anything.
As soon as I opened the panel I found how they fixed it, the fuse was replaced with a 1/4" thick 3" copper bar (I think it would be rated a little higher rated than Dirt's 2000 amp slow blow)
Found a bad weld transformer, and got to put hasps and locks on all the welders control panels.

I love great words...

Dirt,

Thanks, now I can't stop saying "unwantedly".

keithkyll said:
A Form 101 fuse is a Semiconductor fuse...Definitely the wrong type for a motor.

Keith,

Just so anyone reading quickly doesn't assume you mean all semiconductor fuses should not be used for motor starter applications. You just meant the "Form 101" variety, right? "gG" semiconductor fuses, for instance, would be widely used in motor starter applications. We have some in use here.

But I am ignorant to the "Lincoln" fuse, or too "young"? Anyone care to enlighten me/us?

G.

A US copper penny coin (it has an embossed portrait of Abraham Lincoln) will fit in an old-fashioned Edison-base screw-in fuseholder.