Windows10 RS5000 and VirtualBox

ATU

Decided to finally make the move over to Windows10 and bought a new laptop, keeping the faithful Windows7 laptop at the ready. According to Tech Connect RS5000 is not supported. I tried and got up Ver20 before it just would bomb, no matter what I tried. (They said MAYBE next year)
Installed Oracle's VirtualBox, loaded a Win7Pro VM and got nearly everything to work. In RSLinx Classic, I can set up an Ethernet device driver and get it to work using A NAT configuration in VirtualBox to talk to a CLX, but the EIP driver selection refuses to work. :mad: Anyone else down this road yet?

Use a bridged connection to the adapter that you are using to connect. I have bridged connection to each adapter (Ethernet and wireless)

Last edited:
Are you talking about the type of connection in the drop down for the Ethernet adapter in the VM, (ie Bridged instead of NAT) or you talking about bridging te ethernet adatpers in Windows10? What are your settings either way?

In the Guest Operating system (Win7) do you set the Ethernet Adapter to Automatic or set the IP address manually?

It depends. If a DHCP server is assigning addresses to the adapter, then leave it to automatic and both the host and virtual adapter will be assigned an IP address. If no DHCP then set to manual and assign it manually (host and virtual)

......I can set up an Ethernet device driver and get it to work using A NAT configuration in VirtualBox to talk to a CLX, but the EIP driver selection refuses to work.....

What does "refuses to work" mean? That's a trigger for me. Kind of like "I get an error". Tell us what that means. Are you saying you cannot create it, or that it cannot find your device.

I suspect it cannot find your device. That is probably because NAT has assigned you an IP address that is on a separate subnet from the PLC. When you use the Ethernet devices driver, it browses for the specific IP addresses you tell it to look for. The subnet doesn't matter. But the EtherNet/IP driver by default only browses the subnet the PC is on. In the EtherNet/IP driver configuration, change it from Browse Local subnet to Browse Remote subnet. Then specify the network address and subnet it should use.

Using NAT my PC could be using 192.168.200.34 while PLC is using 192.168.1.15. Assume both use 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask. My local subnet would be 192.168.200.0 through 192.168.200.255. If RSLinx browses the local subnet it cannot see the PLC. I would need to tell it to browse the remote subnet 192.168.1.0 using the mask 255.255.255.0 I would be able to see any device using 192.168.1.xx.

Your computer VM software is acting like a virtual router to route data from one subnet to another. The Ethernet devices driver uses it without you realizing it.

Open a Command Prompt on your PC and enter "tracert 192.168.1.15" except use your PLC address and if you see more than one hop then tht is your problem.

OG

The Bridged Connection worked! I had tried it before , but had the wireless adapter selected. The names are so similar and my eyes were playing tricks on me. There are so many different combinations. I can see this can be really powerful. Thanks!