Very slow Studio 5000 interface while online

phuz

After migrating a SLC to a 1769-L36ERM, the Studio 5000 interface was almost unusable. I started with v24, and then changed to v30 with no improvement. I disconnected the only other device connected to the controller (PVPlus 1000) and still no improvement. It would take about 10 seconds to pull up the controller tags or to switch to a ladder view. I increased the overhead time slice from 20% to 50% and it became usable. I've never had to do this before and I'd like to understand what could possibly be going on. There is one continuous task which simply calls an event task (~4ms) and one periodic task with an 11ms period that takes about 0.5ms. Nothing crazy happening there, obviously.

Have you tried to load a blank or very simple program into the PLC to check the RSLogix interface performance?
At least this would verify its not a Ethernet network delay/issue.

My Studio v31 is slow as well. Although it is slow offline and a little slower online. It may just be nature of the beast. It’s not like Rockwell’s software hog resources..........

Rockwell came out with v31 of Studio 5000? Is it any better compared to 30?

Its defiantly a big noticeable change in the interface. It fixed communication bugs i was having with Powerflex525 drives as well. The one or two machines I that I have installed using V31 haven't had any issues.

Version 30 is what's running now. Can't load a dummy program because this was a very small window conversion and this filler runs 24/7.

Not a virtual machine. Two separate laptops (Windows 7 and Windows 10) experience the same issue. I am online with different PLCs all the time, so I know this is not normal.

Another fun fact (if it helps)...when doing online edits and "Finalizing" edits, Logix will freeze and needs to be force closed. This also occurred on both laptops. Again, never had this issue before. Unfortunately, since this is a high-demand line, I probably won't get a chance from the customer to do any testing/troubleshooting since it is not affecting line performance.

It could be the adobe acrobat issue:
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1057708

Studio 5000 Logix Designer v28, v29, v30
Windows 7, 10
Adobe Acrobat Reader DC or XI
Adobe Acrobat Standard DC or XI
Adobe Acrobat Pro DC or XI
It seems they have a patch now for some versions:
The Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and Professional software issue has been resolved in Studio 5000 Logix Designer v28.03 and v30.01 releases.

I just uninstalled acrobat since I don't use it anyway.