Handheld label printer preferences.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
I'm wondering which handheld label printer you guys like more.
The model we use here is the Brady BMP21-Plus. We have had some issues and
may be open to other alternatives.

Thank you!

I have been using the iDXpert for years, but I dont think they make it anymore

What kind of issues are you having ?

I have the Rhino 5200 also. It seems to work fine other than wasting more label stock than I think it should, but I guess that "feature" is common to almost all of them.

We have four guys using the Brady BMP21+. One of them was not feeding right the other day, and the guy thought it was ruined from have been splattered with water. Turned out just to be one bad roll of marker or only the roll was damaged from water. None of the others have given any trouble.

We mostly use the M21-750-499 cartridges, and out of hundreds, we've had that bad one (just physially stuck, I yanked it free, cut off the excess and kept using it) and one other where the black thermal transfer material ended up in the cutter somehow.

We bought the kits with the case and rechargeable batteries and they have exceeded our expectations for field use and for small panel construction.

Been using the Rhino 5200 for going on 6 years now (found it the least expensive on amazon ~$165 for the kit 6 years ago, most expensive on Grainger ~$300). My only complaint is after awhile, whenever you print a label it asks what label catridge is inserted. Other than that it works great.

EDIT: I just looked and found it still on amazon for $110 now....sob.

Last edited:
We still have a Brady BMP21 but recently switch to a Brother PT-E550. Much more user friendly then Brady IMHO, as I can create lists and print them all off in one go from the PC, and it has WiFi(infrastructure and direct modes)

I have the Rhino 5200 also. It seems to work fine other than wasting more label stock than I think it should, but I guess that "feature" is common to almost all of them.

I have used a Kroy label printer many years ago, I believe it was a K2500 which is now replaced by a K5100. I remember it was possible to adjust the length of the labels where you do not have a lot of waste and it looks cartridge prices are about the same as for the Rhino. I couldn't find any info how long the material in the Dymo cartridges is, the Kroy ones have 110" in the heat shrink ones.
The printer itself costs more than the Rhino though, so it might be a numbers game depending on how many labels you print.