Split washers do not effectively work!!

arkyny

1. Split washers have been experimentally proven to be ineffective locking devices and can even aid self loosening over time. And yet I see these things in use everywhere, so what gives? Quora digest;)

I for one have used many of them over the years and find they work very well.
A few things to consider, don’t over torque them they can break and open up then they don’t hold at all in fact they leave the bolt loose.
Another thing if you use them on top of a flat washer they don’t work as well, the flat washer tends to slip. As spider washer works better but again over torque them and they will have the same problem.
I have experienced both problem at times. As with most thing in the world you must use good judgment when applying hardware.
If you have a real vibration problem then the choice should be Loctite with multiple levels of strength to choose from in know you can find one that will hold. The high strength version requires a torch to break it loose after it sets I have used those as well.
In my mechanical tool box I keep both Loctite and Never-Seeze

The split lock washers also don't make a reliable ground connection.

I always use internal tooth star lock washers.

The split lock washers also don't make a reliable ground connection.

I always use internal tooth star lock washers.

Is this measured?

I agree that if the surface is not clean and there is some paint, oxidation, rust or anything else, this is the case. But if everything is clean, the contact area of the split lock is quite bigger.

I completely agree with GaryS, that they are good, as far as you use them in the proper conditions.

The questions I always have is how do they affect the torque values? If they can't spring back to original state, then a second re-torque would be too loose, correct? Same with a star washer.

Personally, I replace the bolt/washers/lockwashers/nut on anything critical when breaking leads.

When it's a 5000HP 4160VAC motor that has 70 starts for it's life cycle, a full setup is cheap insurance once a year for winding analysis.

If you torque, use once. If not, over-torque on non-critical equip.

The memory of a soft split collar washer isn't much good beyond one use but a spring steel split collar (heat treated) is much better albeit at a higher cost. Used by machine builders but not so much in panel builds. I do use them when hanging heavy objects on a back plate whenever I can.

Is this measured?

I agree that if the surface is not clean and there is some paint, oxidation, rust or anything else, this is the case. But if everything is clean, the contact area of the split lock is quite bigger.

I completely agree with GaryS, that they are good, as far as you use them in the proper conditions.

The grounding is made by the sharp edge cutting into the panel surface. Split rings only have one edge per side where stars have many. Also, external star washers often make little contact with the screw head so I always use internal tooth.

Plus for bonding the main ground connection a proper bonding washer with internal and external teeth and a heavier material should be used.

In a previous life as a multi-craft maintenance technician, we saw the evidence of this and switched to spring steel heat treated lock washers on some applications, and to what looked like two star washers glued together with a small offset. I forget what those were called. Those types of lock washer was much more effective when re-used, and made a boat load of ca$h for the vendor who presented the proof of how cheap split washers kinda suck.

I am not sure if this is the brand, but the washers that worked the best were like this:
https://www.nord-lock.com/nord-lock/technology/

Last edited:
In Electrical areas, I try to eliminate as many potentially loose-able hardware items as practical. I have gone to flange nuts or nuts with the locking nylon inserts to eliminate any kind of washers.

Red Loctite works great for me... or Blue if you think you will be taking it off

Red also works great if you want to play a prank :eek: (not that I ever have)