Problems with WinCC Flex 2008 and Ethernet

I'm a little confused by your comment. I'm assuming that you are warning me that if I configure the project via S7ONLINE and download the project to the IPC, it'll lose the connections to symbols and routing and such?...I put the settings back when I downloaded my changes. I just couldn't simulate the original project on my personal PC while the machine ran with that checked.

Good to hear !
Just be warned that configuring the online connection the "simple" way, i.e via S7ONLINE instead of via Simatic Net, you will lose such things as symbols, routing, alarm-s messages, etc.
If that is an issue, you can simulate a copy of the original project.

Yes, that is what I was meaning to say.
With S7ONLINE you can simulate, but you dont get routing or symbols.
With softbus/Simatic Net you cannot simukate, but you get routing and symbols.
So if you need both then you may have to switch back and forth between the two modes of connection.

Jesper, you are awesome. I've been working with Siemens products for the last 4 years now and it has been so hard to find information like this. I read the manuals but sometimes (most times) the wording leaves me super confused. Not even the Siemens support techs nor my Siemens distributor support techs knew this about the communication setup!
Yes, that is what I was meaning to say.
With S7ONLINE you can simulate, but you dont get routing or symbols.
With softbus/Simatic Net you cannot simukate, but you get routing and symbols.
So if you need both then you may have to switch back and forth between the two modes of connection.