electrician having difficulty connecting to slc 503

Kfak

Hello, I'm a electrician who is furthering my education and learning to be a programer , I have a Dell laptop running windows 7 with rs logics pro and rs linxs classic , I'm having problems connecting to a slc 500 processor I purchased on line ,
To connect to the plc I'm using a after market chinese 1747 uic controller plugging into the 485 port ,
The plc has been factory reset , and is blinking red fault because it dosnt have a program in it, [ I did replace the battery)
Anyways every time I try to go online or download a program into the processor , I get a error that " communications is not responding ' and either rs linxs crashes or rs logixs does , either way I've yet to communicate with the plc

Note , in whos online in linx and logix the plc is showing up without a red x, and the 485 light on my processor is green, and the baud rate is set at 19200, also I've tried another processor and have the same problem, and I double checked that the brogram is verifred and the project io modules are correct ,
Any help will be greatly apreciated

l know you say Rslinx see's the CPU as not a red cross, have you had auto config successful when configing the driver in RSlinx.
You have to have that first, or a manual config of the DF1 driver showing the CPU in rslinx before you can download a program to the CPU.

So you are saying rslinx see's the cpu, but cant download to it, it maybe set up as half duplex, but then you say you have hard reset the slc500. Did you short the vdd to ground on the mother board? that should have reset it to full duplex DF1

Last edited:
With the Rockwell UIC, you don't do an auto configure. Not sure if your knock-off will be the same. Do you have log-on instructions for the adapter?
Can you see the UIC adapter in the laptop Device Manager?

in rslinx, when you say no red cross , is it showing a PLC, or is it showing a PC little grahic, or both. My bad about the UIC l was just thinking of a USB rs232 adaptor.

It shows the picture of the plc, and when I unplug the cable , I get the red x, also yes the uic is showing up in my device manager as uic 1747 com port 5 , which I defined the port in the driver,
This is a used pc, that I purchased with rs logics and linxs on it, I'm wondering if I need to get a patch, I believe the version is v2.59 or something there abouts
Also I tried the rs 232 cable with the cross modem adapter but thats not even showing up in my device manager .. also , I have a slc 504 processor , but I'm not sure what cable id use because the 485 port has something that looks like it takes three wires

On a diffrent note , is there much point in learning slc's? I'm thinking about just focussing on compact logix

So looks like linx is seeing it, when you said you reset the 5/03 how did you do that, as that resets the 5/03 to serial/DF1, but if you haven't correctly reset, the 5/03 it maybe in half duplex.
this may help if that is the case
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=120254
5/03 + 5/04 both have a 9 pin port to plug in a null cable and into a usb/rs232 converter, which is what l use, just auto config rslinx and it sees the processor. Then download to processor. Have you configure the controller properties/driver in rslogix?.
Have a read of below it shows the correct settings for a 5/05 but same thing.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=120255
Later the guru's will be on and they should be able to fix it all.
Re learning, were l am there are mainly 500's. PLC's are PLC's with just different bits and pieces. The main dif is the later PLC's are tagged base were older style are I/O based reference. Learn as many types you can, until your brain melts.

Last edited:
also , I have a slc 504 processor , but I'm not sure what cable id use because the 485 port has something that looks like it takes three wires

OK, stop and take a step back.

The SLC-5/04 has a network port that uses a proprietary signal and protocol called "Data Highway Plus". It is not Data Highway 485, and is not based on RS-485. You cannot connect to it with a 1747-UIC.

The RS-232 serial ports (Channel 0) of both the SLC-5/03, 5/04, and 5/05 controllers can be configured for several different protocols: DF1, DH485, and ASCII.

Since your controller has been defaulted, it is set for DF1 Full Duplex at 19200 baud.

Use a null-modem serial cable (1747-CP3 or equivalent) and an ordinary general purpose USB/RS232 converter to connect to that controller.

This is a used pc, that I purchased with rs logics and linxs on it

There is a 99% chance that the software licenses are pirated; I have never seen a legitimate "used PC with Rockwell software preinstalled" for sale on the aftermarket. It's not a huge deal for "home learning", but remember that your local distributor needs to eat too.

Anyways every time I try to go online or download a program into the processor , I get a error that " communications is not responding ' and either rs linxs crashes or rs logixs does , either way I've yet to communicate with the plc

Note , in whos online in linx and logix the plc is showing up without a red x, and the 485 light on my processor is green, and the baud rate is set at 19200, also I've tried another processor and have the same problem, and I double checked that the brogram is verifred and the project io modules are correct ,
Any help will be greatly apreciated

Since RSLinxs is showing connected I am assuming you have the driver configured correctly.... so this means your driver is NOT set in RSLogix, do NOT click download or go online but select Comms then System Comms, select the driver you have configured (UIC) then click download... after you make a download the driver will be set and for that processor you can then click online or download.

See this video as it may help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWgu1jdAPkE

And as Ken said... use a CP3 or null modem for the DB9 port on both the 5/04 and 5/03

Thank you for your responses,
I'm still having difficulty ,
The plc was reset via jumping the vbb to ground connection without the battery installed ,
I have allready configured the driver in rs logix to use the 1747 uic driver at 19200 baud in the node/ channel is 1 ( the same chanel the plc is on)
I purchased a generic 1747 cp3 but can't use it because the driver faulted every time I tried to open it and I've been unable to find the driver and install on the internet

If you really have an SLC-5/04 that's had its memory defaulted, then the "1747-UIC" is not used.

It can ONLY connect to ports that are configured for DH485 protocol, including the network port on an SLC-5/03 controller. While the RS-232 serial port on an SLC-5/04 controller can be configured to run DH485 protocol over RS-232 signals, because your controller has been defaulted, it is not configured for DH485 protocol.

You need an ordinary USB/RS-232 converter, not a 1747-UIC.

The one I've used for years is the Tripp-Lite (formerly Keyspan) USA-19HS.

Generic, counterfeit, and very-low-price USB devices are often not worth the cost in time and trouble.

You are trying to connect with a UIC, but your screenshots show the DF-1 port and trying to connect with a DF-1 driver. For this you would need a null modem cable on a working serial port.

You need to setup the UIC Device driver and use that to talk through the UIC. The only setting you need to do is make sure it has the correct COM port that shows in Device Manager.

Also, check the small switch on the UIC that selects between the DB-9 and RJ cables. If you try changing this unplug the UIC first, then switch it and plug it back in.

Capture.JPG

I have both a 503 and a 504 , I purchased them to learn with,
I just purchased the usa-19hs adapter you recomended , I have a 9 pin cord, with the little adapter thing , will I need a different cord ?
Anways it should arrive around friday so I will update you when I try it,
I think I should reiterate that this computer basicly sat idle since 2015 , is it possible that a batch is in order to get things working ?