Buy single phase servo drive

Mray

Hi there,
I need to buy a single phase (110vac /240vac) servo drive + servo motor and would like to control it by my AB CompactLogix PLC.

Due to it is the first time I am gonna do that, I have some questions.

1- Is it possible to control servo by PLC relay Outputs or I need a special module for that?
2- What is the common way of controlling a servo by PLC? Through a network or special module or some thing else?

3- Can I control servo through Ethernet/IP?
4- Which make and model do you suggest to buy?

Tnx in Adv.

1. yes, depending on your method of control. You can use the relay output to tell the drive to go to predefined index positions (defined in the drive) with relay commands.

2. Most common way will be through network communications. can be ethernet IP, RS485, RS232, or various other network interfaces depending on the capability of the particular servo system you purchase. I am currently installing a servo from Automation Direct, and have bench tested it with RS 232 communications.

3. depends on the servo drive. If it is not inherently ethernet IP capable, adapters are available to convert to whatever communication protocols that drive supports.

4. for seamless integration into your compactLogix application, probably a Kinetix 2000 (made by Allen Bradley) If you want something more cost effective, then SureServo by Automation Direct (but it does not support Ethernet IP)

1. yes, depending on your method of control. You can use the relay output to tell the drive to go to predefined index positions (defined in the drive) with relay commands.

2. Most common way will be through network communications. can be ethernet IP, RS485, RS232, or various other network interfaces depending on the capability of the particular servo system you purchase. I am currently installing a servo from Automation Direct, and have bench tested it with RS 232 communications.

3. depends on the servo drive. If it is not inherently ethernet IP capable, adapters are available to convert to whatever communication protocols that drive supports.

4. for seamless integration into your compactLogix application, probably a Kinetix 2000 (made by Allen Bradley) If you want something more cost effective, then SureServo by Automation Direct (but it does not support Ethernet IP)
Appreciate you

1. you can definitely control some servo's with relay outputs. If you buy an AB kinetix servo, and drive you need an AB plc to control it, which is crazy to me they don't have discrete control, but I found that out the hard way. A lot of other options if you want to use discrete/relay control method.

2. I don't know if network communication is the most common, I'm sure its headed in that direction though. Most of what I've run across has not been, although the equipment is older a lot of times.

3. Not sure, on this. If you mean send commands through a network of devices such as AB stuff then yes. If you mean from a PLC to a third party servo device, it would depend on what it is.

4. Kinetix is pretty easy to program with in my experience, as are most things AB, and its great to have a machine with one brand of components a lot of times. especially if this is your first motion project, it may make things way easier on you.

As far as from my personal experience. The Kinetix series servo motors themselves I don't find to be particularly robust. They work, but make sure you have spares available. I guess the good thing is, if you don't but its from their current line of stuff, it doesn't take long to get it.

Personally the best servo stuff I've worked with is IAI. Have 3 of these systems in 2 different machines, and they've been great.

Have 2 of their 300mm linear slides although one is just a backup which has never been opened, the original is maybe close to 7yrs at this point, and we have had no problems through millions of cycles. grease the ball screw once a year and let it work.

I also bought a servo indexer maybe 4 years ago, and in the last 3.5 years its run millions of cycles as well without any trouble.

Their software is easy to use, and my applications are both controlled with discrete outputs and interface relays. As far as their networking potential, I cant really speak to it because I didn't ask.

1. you can definitely control some servo's with relay outputs. If you buy an AB kinetix servo, and drive you need an AB plc to control it, which is crazy to me they don't have discrete control, but I found that out the hard way. A lot of other options if you want to use discrete/relay control method.

2. I don't know if network communication is the most common, I'm sure its headed in that direction though. Most of what I've run across has not been, although the equipment is older a lot of times.

3. Not sure, on this. If you mean send commands through a network of devices such as AB stuff then yes. If you mean from a PLC to a third party servo device, it would depend on what it is.

4. Kinetix is pretty easy to program with in my experience, as are most things AB, and its great to have a machine with one brand of components a lot of times. especially if this is your first motion project, it may make things way easier on you.

As far as from my personal experience. The Kinetix series servo motors themselves I don't find to be particularly robust. They work, but make sure you have spares available. I guess the good thing is, if you don't but its from their current line of stuff, it doesn't take long to get it.

Personally the best servo stuff I've worked with is IAI. Have 3 of these systems in 2 different machines, and they've been great.

Have 2 of their 300mm linear slides although one is just a backup which has never been opened, the original is maybe close to 7yrs at this point, and we have had no problems through millions of cycles. grease the ball screw once a year and let it work.

I also bought a servo indexer maybe 4 years ago, and in the last 3.5 years its run millions of cycles as well without any trouble.

Their software is easy to use, and my applications are both controlled with discrete outputs and interface relays. As far as their networking potential, I cant really speak to it because I didn't ask.

Tnx dwoodlock,

So, IAI servos can communicate with AB relay output? And the software is free?

One question ...

Do you want single phase in/three phase out or are you wanting single phase in/single phase out?

It makes a big difference.

One question ...

Do you want single phase in/three phase out or are you wanting single phase in/single phase out?

It makes a big difference.
That's a good point.
Due to I need them for my personal lab, need some thing flexible to be able to run/test different thing.

Sorry, I wasn't specific.

I meant do you want the servodrive to be single phase in/three phase out or are you wanting it to be single phase in/single phase out?

Sorry, I wasn't specific.

I meant do you want the servodrive to be single phase in/three phase out or are you wanting it to be single phase in/single phase out?
I think it is better to have a single phase in and single phase out.
Which one is cheaper?

Don't worry about the out, as long as the motor matches the driver. I think they are mostly three phase out, since three phase gives the best rotational control.
So, I wanna order a driver with single phase input and 3 phase out.

What about the servo motor? I should order 3 phase servo motor the same voltage as drive output? is there any thing that should be considered before purchasing?

Due to it is the first time I am gonna do that, I have some questions.
What about the servo motor? I should order 3 phase servo motor the same voltage as drive output? is there any thing that should be considered before purchasing?
As long as you continue to have questions like that your best bet will be to order the servo motor from the same vendor as the servo drive, from a list of motors the drive vendor says is compatible.

Do you really need a servo controller depending your application you may not need a servo at all.
I have been able to us a good vector drive and motor in place of many servo drive systems.
you can use a 3 phase Vector drive on single phase supply you just .need to size it correctly. the drive will need to be de-rated by 30%

Do you really need a servo controller depending your application you may not need a servo at all.
I have been able to us a good vector drive and motor in place of many servo drive systems.
you can use a 3 phase Vector drive on single phase supply you just .need to size it correctly. the drive will need to be de-rated by 30%
I already have a vector drive but I need to focus on servo drives this time.

So, I wanna order a driver with single phase input and 3 phase out.

Order a matching servomotor for the servo drive, from the same vendor. If you're not sure, the vendor will be glad to help you. For a new system, there's no point in ordering parts piecemeal. It should come with drive, motor, and cables, as well as any needed accessories, such as i/o adaptors, com cables, etc. Give them a call, discuss what your requirements are, and they'll put together a parts list for you.