OT: AC reactor

theripley

Can I use an AC reactor (Brand A) to VFD (Brand B)?

A little back story:

Client bought a VFD (Brand B) @ 75kw without the AC reactor. System needs to run asap, however, AC reactor takes 2 months to arrive. Hence, we thought of using AC reactor from Brand A. I am thinking maybe this is possible since AC reactor are just coils.

You certainly can.

The off-brand reactor has to have a rating that is equal or better to the brand reactors for voltage, amperage and inductance.

You mean for a 75Kw motor I can use any AC reactor that is higher than or equal to 75Kw, right?

Just wondering why AC reactor supplier says that cannot be done. o_O

I'd be surprised if the drive manufacturer builds the reactor. More likely, they specify the rating, and they publish the rating in the technical manual.

Just match the rating from another manufacturer.

It's an inductor. As long as it's rated appropriately, and not made from old Chinese newspapers, you'll be fine.

$$$$$$$$$$$

They charge more, because their copper has more copper in it. It's so copper, it actually has 101% copper :ROFLMAO:

New dilemma:

Recommended size of AC reactor is not readily available (whether Brand A or B). The only available is an AC reactor that is next smaller size.

Is there a way to use two of the smaller sizes reactor to achieve our required reactor size? Will that be safe?

I am thinking of putting 2 smaller sizes AC reactor in series to get an AC reactor that is > 75kw.

Now that's not a good idea.

The reactors are sized based on the current they can handle. Connecting them in series wouldn't change that and it would double the inductance.

Is this a line or load reactor?

Do you really need the reactors to run? I've seen many systems where designer's put in a reactor 'because that's what you do'. Of course they have their place, but if you really need to run the machine, you may just be fine running for 2 months without the reactor.

They charge more, because their copper has more copper in it. It's so copper, it actually has 101% copper :ROFLMAO:

Actually it's only 100% copper, but they radiation treat their copper for better inductance and resonance. That way it fits into the Gneutenator Linear X-Axis Reactor much better.

I am thinking of putting 2 smaller sizes AC reactor in series to get an AC reactor that is > 75kw.

This might be possible, but the 2 reactors would have to be wired parallel, not series. That way you would get the current needed.

Remember, all the reactor does is run each leg of the AC through a single coil transformer. An incoming spike would increase the overall magnetic field only slightly and slowly be absorbed back into the outgoing AC. "Slowly" is relative to 120 pulses a second (100 in UK).

As noted above, unless the incoming power has problems most VFD's are not installed with the 'required' reactors. Myself, I have only added them as needed after installation.

I'd be surprised if the drive manufacturer builds the reactor. More likely, they specify the rating, and they publish the rating in the technical manual.

Just match the rating from another manufacturer.
Not one VFD manufacturer I'm aware of actually makes the reactors they sell, they ALL brand label products from one of the same 5 or 6 reactor manufacturers; MTE, TCI, Schaffner, Hammond, Olsun and I think one other EU supplier that I can't remember right now. The companies that can mass produce them do so at a cost so low that the VFD manufacturers can't waste their time and effort trying to do it on their own for only their portion of the potential sales.

As the owner of MTE once told me: "It's simple to implement the economies of scale in mass producing them because it's just wire wrapped around steel; nothing much to think about."

As noted above, unless the incoming power has problems most VFD's are not installed with the 'required' reactors. Myself, I have only added them as needed after installation.

I see, thanks a lot for the help. We'll wait for the reactor then.

Did Donald Trump accidentally log into your PLCS.net account instead of his Twitter account just now?