War wagon for analog

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
OK guys I'm loading up my service van for the normal everyday issues and parts needed for geeks like us.
For analog troubleshooting in have meters, simulating, and sourcing tools. I have 250Ω & 500Ω resistors. If you where going to have few basic things for the emergency change out what would you add?

Just an example of why I carry the above.

I had a DC drive that I did an emergency changeout on. The original was 4~20mA spd ref. The new was 0~10VDC. A simple 500Ω resistor and I had 2~10.

What? No O-Scope? A true geek needs an O-scope to completement his slide rule hanging from his belt. I have a O-scope that cost a mere $40+K. It isn't really portable though. It does have lots of channels displayed in pretty colors. It has lots of knobs to turn and buttons to push. It is cool if not geeky. :)

Seriously, do you have a way of measuring current?

I would look into one of those resistor cabinets with all flavors. Never know when you are going to need something for a serial connection, DH+ or such.
I would also have at least (1) 5kpot, and (1) 10kpot. One of those RTD's you can field trim to length, and maybe some type J and K thermocouple wire.

Personally, I would stock it with some inexpensive signal conditioners, and ISOLATORS.

This is a very good idea and Red Lion has a nice Universal Signal conditioner that will cover almost any situation and they are very affordable.

Automation Direct has a very good line of signal conditioners also.

For loop powered field transmitters:

1) power pack to power up a field transmitter when a source of DC power is questionable - three 9V batteries wired in series. I put a coax jack on the end of the 6 foot 2 wire cable and use the mating coax plug with alligator clips to make sure the there’s no possibilty of shorting. It’s ’proven’ the transmitter is functional if only there was DC power coming down the line.

2. USB HART modem and Pactware for the HART field instruments.

3. Universal (temp and 4-20) calibrator - someone will ask if you can calibrate the input or the temp transmitter.

If you service lots of 4-20 loops, the Fluke 771 is a great tool - a clamp-on indicator instead of breaking into the loop. But it’s very pricey at $700+.

If you service lots of 4-20 loops, the Fluke 771 is a great tool - a clamp-on indicator instead of breaking into the loop. But it’s very pricey at $700+.
These are also good for DC solenoids where you just need confirmation of current.

Cordsets

I’ve got a collection of M12 x flying lead cordsets; one male, one female, 3 pin 4 pin, and 5 pin, for connection right at field device.

4-20mA Loop current simulator

4-20mA Loop current simulator, active (powered by its own batteries) or passive, loop powered.

Phoenix Contact connectors

Some two and three pin removeable Phoenix Contact type connectors for testing without changing any wiring on the field-wired connectors.

Paper Clips and clip/jumper leads

Paper clips to fit under screw terminals so alligator clips have something better than round screw heads to grab onto. Clip leads with alligator clips.

Known good 24Vdc DC power supply

The three 9V battery pack is OK for single transmitters but I carry a 1.3A 24Vdc power supply to use if DC power is questionable.

Ice pick

Happened last week - the RTD cabling came with pre-wired plug and jack and really nice teflon insulated copper cable all covered by stainless braided armor.

Problem was the pre-wired 3 prong RTD plug would fit through the 3/8” hole in the side of the freezer. Owner didn’t want to risk enlarging the hole. Had to cut the RTD plug off, thread the cable through the hole, then reconnect the RTD plug.

The cabling was covered Stainless braided armor. I couldn’t ‘strip’ the braided armor. I had my ice pick with which I could penetrate the bunched up/pushed back braid to make a ‘hole’ in the braid through which I could pull the insulated copper cable and then cut off the armored braid. Just like making up RF cables with braided shielding.