Australian Plug wiring

gusterminator

Hi, I recently bought an brewing vessel from Australia. It arrived with a 240V 15A Type I 50Hz plug. I would like to switch the plug to North american standards. I'm not sure if the center plug should be Neutral or Ground! I'm leaning towards Ground but am not sure. The circuit board is rated 240V 50 or 60 Hz.
Has anybody experienced working with Australian plugs?

Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks,

Per Wikipedia:

The two top pins are the “live” pins. The top right plug pin is the live or active pin while the top left plug pin is the neutral pin. The third pin, if provided, is the earth or ground pin. The live pins of every 10 amp and 15 amp flat pin plug sold after 3 April 2005 have been required to be insulated, in accordance with AS/NZS 3112:2000

So #3 is ground, and they are expecting the left plug pin to be neutral, so there may be a danger of wiring 240V if the expected "Neutral" is connected to something that may not like getting North American Line 2.

Looking into the plug from the pin side, the top right angled pin is active/phase ( red or brown if EU standard), top left angled pin is neutral (black or blue if EU), straight up and down, more than likely partial insulated pin is earth/ground,(green or striped green/white if EU).
Keep in mind we use MEN (Multi earthed neutral) over here as our power supply connection, so all earths go back to the earth "bar" which is linked to the neutral "Bar" which is then linked to the earth mass system.
And of course the brew machine will make lovely tasting stuff, albeit l just brew mine using a can of "Coopers lager" sugar, some yeast in a drum and away we go, very yummy.

Last edited: