Class 1 Div 1 Hydraulic Fitting

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi There,

We have a hydraulic power unit we are building for a Class 1 Div 1 application. The customer wanted a specific kind of proportional relief valve that we not find with the proper rating so the project guys decided to put it in an expolosion proof box.

There is no problem getting the electrical connections to the box as there are conduit fittings rated for this but my question come in as how to get the hydraulic lines in and out of the box. Obviously we need to thread them into the box but in the NEC the code is pretty clear that in Class 1 Div 1 the fittings have to be approved for that rating.

They hydraulic guy is arguing that the code only applies to electrical fittings but my thought is that whatever gasses are trying to sneak around a fitting don't care whether it is electrical or hydraulic. :)

Has any one done somthing like this before? Are there Class 1 Div 1 hydraulic bulkhead fittings available? Are we crazy to put a hydraulic valve in a box? Do we need some sort of shutdown switch if the pressure in the box gets too great (probably not a good idea to blow a relief to atmosphere I'm guessing).

Thanks,