RS485 and power conductors in 1 cable

quietman187

Hi all,
I'm trying to get a bom together for an R&D project.

I have modbus devices that require 355mA for power plus communications. Does anyone know of an online vendor that can supply cable with the RS485 twisted shield AND power (DC) conductors in one cable?

This is for a mobile installation, meaning there is no wire tray and the cables will be rolled out when the job begins then rolled back up when complete, similar to a band touring the country. I'm looking for durability, kind of like an extension cord, people will be stepping on them, this will be in a high traffic construction zone.

Has to be able to be purchased with a credit card, corporate takes 5-8 weeks to add approved vendors.

Last edited:
I would use paired tray cable. 2 pair 16 or 18 should do what you need. Use one pair for power and the other for 485. Real cheap and easily found pretty much anywhere.

+1 Diat150
Polyvinylchloride (PVC)/Polyamide (Nylon) is what you are looking for the jacket material. An alternative would be XLPE (Cross-linked Polyethylene)

Regards,