slc500 basic questions

flybyguy

im just learning about the slc500 plc

i have a few questions if any one could help me with would be great thanks:p

how many analog inputs can the slc500 control

why cant a program be downloaded to a plc when it is in run mode

what is the purpose of a watchdog timer in a plc

what is the largest positive and negative floating number point number that can be specified in a slc500 plc

why can a program be executed when the program is on remote program mode

what is the maximum amount of up and down counters the slc500 can have?

Last edited:
flybyguy,

This sounds suspiciously like a homework assignment. If not, can you please let us know why you need these specific answers.

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum ! As you will see, homework questions that are simply posted without showing some effort are usually roundly mocked.

Your questions are vague enough that they might not be from a PLC class. I'm curious to find out.

1. How many analog inputs can the slc500 control ?

Trick question ! A PLC controls its outputs, not its inputs. Refer to the syllogism in Bernie Carlton's signature.

The Input data table of an SLC-500 is 256 16-bit words long, so in theory you could connect a large collection of analog input modules. If I were answering this on a test, I would say "the number of analog input channels is limited only by controller memory".

2. Why can't a program be downloaded to a PLC when it is in run mode ?

That's just the way they work. PLC's typically have pre-allocated memory and resources, without enough to load a second program in parallel with the first. Most PLCs can have smaller program edits done while in run mode, but not whole downloads.

3. What is the purpose of a watchdog timer in a PLC ?

The goal of a PLC is to rapidly solve control equations by reacting to inputs and communications. If the user program takes too long to execute (or there is a malfunction of the controller operating system) the watchdog is usually a low-level OS function or separate circuit that interrupts the system and shuts it down if the user program takes too long to execute. A typical PLC watchdog is in the 500 to 1000 millisecond range.

4. What is the largest positive and negative floating number point number that can be specified in a SLC-500 PLC.

SLC-500 controllers, like many other controllers, use a 32-bit Floating Point storage mechanism, called IEEE 754 Single Precision Floating Point. The maximum positive and negative values that can be represented by IEEE 32-bit Floating Point are about +/- 10^38.53.

5. Why can a program be executed when the program is on remote program mode ?

It cannot.

The "Remote" position of the SLC-500 keyswitch (and the corresponding operating mode) just means that a remote programming terminal can switch the controller into RUN or PROG. The SLC-500 program does not execute when the controller is in Remote Program or Program mode.

6. What is the maximum amount of up and down counters the slc500 can have?

Again, this depends on controller memory. A single Counter or Timer data table supports up to 256 Counters or Timers each, and you can add Counter or Timer data tables until you're out of controller memory. There is no pre-set limit on the number of Counters or Timers in the SLC-500 controller.

if you are given a floating decimal number that is to be stored in file F8 in standard I.E.E, 754 format how do i calculate it and calculate its binary number

If you have a constant floating number then a simple MOV can be used to store its value into an F8 location. You do not have to calculate the correct binary representation.

floating points

will be writing a test in august, an was instructed that the instructor will give me various floating decimal numbers to file in F8 and he wants us to convert it into a binary number. Each floating number is sepate of its own, like part a,part,b etc
eg. a)-12.267
b)-6.540 etc

and if you want to play hardball - then COP (Copy - not move) the F8 number into an INTEGER location ... use a length of 2 for the COP command ... this will copy the BIT PATTERN (not the same thing as the VALUE) into two consecutive integer words ...

you can now open the integer file and change the radix to "binary" ... this will let you view the bit pattern from the F8 location ...