MSG to a SLC 5/04 from Controllogix -65

plc_craziness

Hello
I checked out some of the other posts on this but I still cannot get this going. I am trying to do messaging from a Controllogix processor to/from an SLC 5/04. I can ping the ENBT that the DHRIO card for the SLC is attached to. My problem seems to be in the 'path' string that I have entered. I have tried a number of combinations but it does not work. I am trying to do a 'SLC Typed Read' in this particular message.
The CTLX PLC is located at the 10.7.2.73 ENBT card and I am trying to reach the Node 07 SLC 5/04 (Dist Sump.

Can someone please look at the screen shot here and tell me what I am not seeing? Thanks.

What is the error code you get when you execute the MSG instruction ?

The CIP Path looks correct; it goes to the ENBT module, then the backplane (1) then the DHRIO module slot (1). From there, the DH+ subsystem takes over.

You might try leaving the Source Link and Destination Link values at 0.

This is an ordinary DH+ Local message, so I think that having a nonzero Destination Link value causes the DHRIO to turn on the "Remote" bit, and the SLC-5/04 attempts to send the message on to the "Link 3" network instead of responding to it.

Ken, thanks for your response. I believe the extended error code was 204, but I also got a 312 at some point, I was trying many different combinations. 204 was the main one that I remember. I will try your suggestion today. Thanks again.

Ken, I just read your message again. Should I be using a 'SLC Typed Read' message or CIP Read message? I thought I had tried the CIP Read message, but the DH+ areas were greyed out then.
Thanks.

I have always done this with "SLC Typed Read" or "SLC Typed Write".

The CIP Path gets the message as far as the 1756-DHRIO module, and the module itself performs the DH+ command using the channel, address, and link information you fill out.

Error 0204 is an ordinary timeout, while 0312 is a "invalid link ID" error.

Ken, I tried changing the Link ID to '0' for both. I still get the same problem. I still get the 204 error. Any other ideas?
Thanks

I'm not sure what to suggest next.

The CIP Path definitely looks correct, and the PDF you posted is an excellent summary of the configuration and verifies that RSLinx Classic can browse through all the parts of this communication path.

One thing I noticed in the background is that you might be firing the MSG instruction based on its own /EN bit. This "fans the trigger" and might be overloading the 1756-DHRIO with requests to the same device. Do a test where you only enable the MSG once, and see if you can use a timer or just eyeball to see how long it takes to get the MSG timeout.

Is this controller doing a great deal of messaging ? There's a very low limit (it's either 16 or 32, I'd have to go back and research) of MSG instructions that a single ControlLogix can route through DH+ modules.

Ron, I compared your screen to the screen that I posted. I have tried changing the Link ID to '0' for both links, but the result was the same.

Do you guys think that I am running into an issue where the Controllogix is on a 10.7.2.73 and the DHRIO is on an ENBT at 10.7.7.211? I guess I don't see why that would be a problem because I can see it in RSLinx.

I think that the figure below is "pretty much" what you're looking for ... I got it to work on my lab equipment with the setup shown ...

I don't think that you need a "Routing Table" for this ... at least I didn't ...

note that you'll have to change the "A" channel to "B" and use your own IP addresses, etc. – but the basic idea should work ... at least I can reliably read an integer value from the SLC into the ControlLogix ...

forum_message_problem.PNG

other straws at which to grasp:

your screen shot seems to indicate that you're trying to retrieve TEN words of information from the SLC ...

are you sure that those TEN words actually exist? ...

and that you have an appropriate ARRAY of TEN INTEGER locations to place them into inside the ControlLogix processor? ...

and that the array is scoped at the Controller level? ...

note that these are all just wild guesses – but if all else fails, I'd take a look along these lines ...

My guess about your IP network is that the Subnet Mask is 255.255.0.0, so only the first two octets of the address need to be the same.

In general, if RSLinx can browse both devices using the same driver, then they can also communicate with one another over Ethernet.

One test I might do is to make sure you can get a message as far as the DHRIO module. Do a CIP Generic message with the service "Get Attribute Single", and point it at the DHRIO, requesting Class 1, Instance 1, Attribute 7. That's the "Product Name", so make the target a DINT[10] or so and look at it in ASCII radix. You'll see "1756-DHRIO" in the data.

If that works, you know the message is making it to the 1756-DHRIO itself, and the problem is on the DH+ side.

Could you post the MSG originating CLX Project Tree hardware configuration?
I believe that DH+ messaging within a Logix environment requires the absence of the 1756-DHRIO bridge from the CLX Project Tree.
Long time ago I went through this too...It was RA TechConnect support who came up with this "unknown sollution"...:D

Last edited:
Ron, I double checked the SLC and the N15 registers are there.
Also there are 10 registers in the array in Controllogix and they are Controller scoped.
Thanks.

I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong but I thought in a case like this you have to use link IDs. The problem as I see it is that your routing table configuration is incomplete.

What you have is a controllogix trying to read a SLC 5/04 and the path is from the controllogix, over ethernet, to another controllogix rack, then out the DH+ network to the SLC. The MSG path you defined shows the source link ID as 1 which is the controllogix rack containing the DHRIO card, according to how your routing table configuration currently is set up. You need to define a path and link ID for the EN2Ts and backplane that contains the EN2TR at 10.7.2.73 and use that one as the source ID. Then the SLC 5/04 will be able to respond to messages from the controllogix.

If the controllogix were in the chassis at 10.7.7.211 then you could define the controller slot in the DHRIO configuration and not worry about link IDs but that's not the case here.

As I said, I may be wrong and hopefully someone will correct me if I am.