Rockwell PLC Chassis - Serial Number - RS Logix

belph

I would like to make a small discussion about ways of reading out serial number of PLC Rack in RSLogix.
I know only about one way of doing it. There is message instruction with BackplaneRead option where you can get several information out of backplane. What concerns me now is I have like 50 PLCs running in production and want to get this information without influencing code itself and create MSG instruction.
Does anyone know what are other possibilities ?
I will really appreciate every other solution.
:sick:

Cheers!

Why do you need to get the backplane serial number? Rockwell makes a tool called the system ferret. But I don't know if it records serial numbers. i didn't even know you could get the serial number of the backplane via a MSG instruction.

Thanks guys for joining this debate, it has a great usage.
For instance imagine you have similar code of plc, but you have 20 of them and they differ in minor parameters and options.
By reading chassis number you can get precise information of each PLC and create configuration routine of parameters and options .
There is possibility by message, you just need to set correct parameters of message and specify datatype for it. Rockwell has made some specification for it.

For further see attachment.

@jkerekes: thanks will try that, perhaps thats what I need

Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG

The processor has a serial number too. I think that may be readable via a GSV instruction.

but from maintaining point of view, CPU is represented as a module which can be replaced if broken. To destroy a chassis you have to make bigger effort hehe . It's already implemented this solution and for me is only important.
How can I simply get Serial number of chassis if I have all of the PLC in RSLinx, instead of going online and create two rungs and check it 40 times :] .

Playing with System ferret now, hope this will work 4 me

Why do you need to get the backplane serial number? Rockwell makes a tool called the system ferret. But I don't know if it records serial numbers. i didn't even know you could get the serial number of the backplane via a MSG instruction.

System Ferret worked as I wanted. Cool Tool thank you. But what concerns me next is this dialogue window. What ProcessLogix means especially there?
Does it stop running what is scanned or not ?
I mean that PLC's that I want to scan. They are running now and cannot stop operation :] . Do you think it's safe ?

Capture.PNG

ProcessLogix was a collaboration between Rockwell and Honeywell to implement a sort of DCS system. I think its long been obsolete. I think it was more of a Honeywell product than RA. I would think you would know if you had one.