SLC500 Multiple Rack addressing

Mikebuk

Hi All,
In an SLC500 system, with more than one rack, what is the Rack/Slot/Bit address format? I know that the first slot in a rack is '0' as far as the program is concerned, but what is the physical address with regards to the rack, slot and bit? I have seen many different answers to this. Some say the physical address is for example: the first rack is rack 1 - the first slot is slot 1 and the first bit is bit 1. Others say that the first rack is rack 0 - the first slot is slot 0 and the first bit is bit 0. I have also seen other combinations of this! All very confusing. Could someone shine some light on this for me. Thanks in advance.

There are no racks in SLC addresses, but slots only.
The processor is the leftmost slot0, the rest is numbered in order thorough all existing racks.

Mikebuk

Sounds like you are confusing Racks and Chasis.

The Chasis is where the physical cards go but in I/O addressing there is a Rack/Node and the term with Allen bradley products is mostly used with plc 5 equipment.

Physical layouts are chasis. In the slc just connecting expansion chasis with ( a second or more chasis with a cable between them)the slots just continue in a sequential order.

If you have slc chasis that does not have a processsor in the left most slot and has no expansion chasis but does have a comm card in the left most slot then this is a rack of remote I/O being mastered by another plc somewhere.

Check this against your current setup.

Hi,
Thanks for both of the replies. Sorry, yes when I said rack I did in fact mean chassis. I am aware of the addressing convention with respect to the program. In that the first chassis starts at 0 with the leftmost slot and works up to 29 for the 30th slot in the expansion chassis's.
I don't think My original question was clear. Ignoring program addressing. If say there was an input card in the 1st phyisical slot of the 1st chassis and I connected to say the 1st input on that card. (I know this can't actually happen), then what would the physical address be? From what I have seen and been told it could be any one of a number of answers. Some say that the chassis is 0 some say 1, some say that slot is 0 and again some say 1, also some say the bit number is 0 and others 1. But which is correct? Many thanks.

Mike.

The processor is in slot zero so it would be 1.

On a micrologix or similar it would be zero for the base I/O and 1 for the firt expansion Input card. This is because the I/O and the processor are in the same unit / slot so to speak but in a slc it would always be 1.

BIt numbers on a SLC will always be 0 through 15.

Slot 0 is the CPU or adapter slot for the chassis.

I/O slots are numbered 1-29 for adjacent cards including any extended local chassis (connected to the same backplane with a cable between chassis).

I/O slots hanging off of a remote I/O scanner are a whole nuther animal. After you understand PLC5 rack/group/slot addressing, then those become a combination of the SLC slot number where the scanner card is located, followed by the word delimiter or period, following by the LOGICAL Rack/Group/Slot values used by the PLC-5 system of remote I/O.