Micro820 to PanelView800 comms

JohnRatHolten

Hey All,

Just got two new identical machines, each with a Micro820 talking to a PanelView 800 via ethernet.
And with identical IP address's on each machine.

At this point I can connect one or the other to my network switch and access it from CCW on my workstation.
So I would like to change the IP's on one of the machines so I can keep them both connected.

The OEM gave me a copy of the program (project?), but they didn't do the programming themselves, but rather, paid some panel shop to build them.
So they don't know the ins and out of it all, they just know what their machine does....

Now this is my first experience with CCW, but it looks pretty straightforward, But I want to ask questions before I muck something up....

It looks to me like the PanelView IP itself doesn't matter to the Micro820, so long as the PV configuration points to the PLC's IP.
So it should just be a matter of changing the PLC's IP and matching it in the PV config to keep them talking.
and changing the PV's IP in Terminal config.

Does this sound correct?

Regards,
JohnR

I think you'll need to change the IP address on both the PLC & Panelview on one machine. Having two HMIs on the network with the same address isn't good.

As you say you'll need to re-configure the Panelview on the changed PLC so it knows the new target address.

I've limited experience with these units but that's what I'd do...

Andy

thanks for the input Andy, and that's pretty much what I said....

"and changing the PV's IP in Terminal config"

I was hoping someone with a lot of experience would chime in and confirm my thinking....

I have not used the PV800's, but in other models you have a shortcut in the project that maps your tags to a specific PLC, with a specific IP address. If this PV works like others, you need to change the shortcut in the project then download a runtime to the PV. Otherwise the panel view will keep looking for the original PLC IP address, and if you have two identical machines, two panel views will be talking to one machine, and none the other.
An alternative would be to use a NAT device to add the 2nd machine, but keep the original IP addressing.

As you stated you can change the panel IP using the panel config on the screen and then change the PLC IP as shown in the attached screen shot from CCW.

820.jpg

Well the dirty deed is done and all seems well....

As I said, this is my first experience with CCW, some similarities with RSLogix, some strange and new features...

It does seem to be a pokey program though, seems to take quite a while for saves to happen, and downloads to react.

Or maybe that's a Windows 10 [NOT RESPONDING] thing.. ;-)