OT: Cordless Drill Motors

Another rule I developed about cordless tools:

Never buy any cordless tool if the name starts with 'R'

R*an, R*obi, R*gid all the same not-even-homeowners use.
I guess YMMV. I love Ryobi tools for home use. The same battery power so many different tools.

My friend who is a house flipper and all around handyman also supplement Milwaukee 18V with Ryobi. Surprisingly, he said he never had a ryobi fail on him but a few Milwaukee did.

Milwaukee M12 is an excellent platform. Start off with the Gen3 hammer drill/impact driver combo kit and dont look back.

The best cordless drill I ever had was a Skil. After 10 years, I wanted to buy a new battery for it. They told me that not only was that not possible, but the charger was recalled, so they sent me a coupon for $40 for any Skil product. I bought the latest and greatest Skil cordless drill. It was twice as heavy which sucked, and 10 DAYS later, it fell off a 7 foot ladder and died. Now I use Dewalt, but I think there are probably better tools out there. We have Dewalt cordless tools at work and so one main reason is that among the dozen or two tools among the crew, we can all share batteries and chargers.

This thread reminded me of this highly entertaining video:

[language NSFW]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZfYF9aIO7U

I am going to watch it again...I think the guy is a fan of Milwaukee or Makita? I forget...

Best for me is the Makita one that is made in Japan - bloody ripper and very small. I have several of them and they are really good - way better than the Made In China ones. Will get the cat number and post. Have tried just about all now - Bosch lasted 6 months, Panasonic 11 months - had these 15 months now and still going strong.

Dewalt are doing a special in the over here in the UK, it's a small combi two speed drill complete with two 4Ahr Lithium batteries and a torque output of 65Nm (approx 48lb/foot) - it's also a brushless motor, so I bought one.

I'm quite impressed at the power of the unit for its size compared to my old ryobi that's just given up the ghost after 9 years of constant use (Ni/Cad batteries).

I would add that it only cost £149 ($180.00)

Steve

Last edited:
Found the catalogue number for the Makita tool that is made in Japan. A little ripper. It is DTD148 - small, light, powerful.

Pretty satisfied with the Milwaukee 18V lineup of drills and hammer drills. Lightweight and long lasting batteries and lots of torque when needed.

I bought some in-expensive porter-cable drill and impact driver sets 20v
I'm pretty impressed with them. Well worth the money.
Nice and lightweight and batteries last a long time.

I have ~20 years on my Ryobi drill. Lithium batteries are such an improvement over nimh and NiCad. I do not miss self discharging battery technology.

We use Milwaukee's at work for drilling, sawing, and we have a 1/2" impact that is pretty fine.

The biggest issue I have with any cordless drill are those auto loosening chucks. I miss the good old fashioned keyed chuck.

I had these for about 7 years, never failed

Capture.PNG
For your stand up option
Capture 2.PNG
This is my work horse
Capture 3.PNG

Course none of them are this pretty any more, lettering is all worn off, rubber is shredded. But all the important stuff still works,

Last edited:
Hilti, Tools designed to be used. 22v battery and nice sculpted grips (no chunky "transformer" design) + great warrantee.

20 year

Materials and workmanship warranty
Hilti will repair or replace parts that break as a result of defects in materials or workmanship for 20 years.

2 year

Wear and tear coverage
Hilti will repair tools at no cost for 2 years from the date of purchase.(1) Damage due to wear and tear is covered.(2) No charges for parts, labor, or even shipping.

1 day

In and out of the repair center in one day, guaranteed, or the repair is free.
If Hilti does not repair a tool the same day it is received in a Tool Service Center then the repair is free - including parts, labor and shipping