RSLogix MOV and COP

This thread has been around for ages now. You might consider starting a new message in its own thread.

Anyways, remember that the MOV actually copies the data. It does not remove it from the source. As long as the rung is true, the MOV will be triggered.

So, for example, if there are no conditions (inputs) ahead of the MOV it would move the data on each scan. If I had a source of 1000 and a destination of Timer.PRE then 1000 would get moved into the preset over and over and over. Each scan.

If I had an input ahead of the MOV and the input was true. The same thing would happen. If I only wanted the data moved a single time when that input was triggered I would add a one-shot ONS instruction.

Just as another possibility, you could make the Program tag an Alias to the Controller tag. Then you would not need the MOV.

OG

If the logic preceding the MOV instruction is true and the routine that the logic is in is continuously scanned, the MOV will move the value from the source to the destination every scan.

I'm not sure what HMI you are using, but many drivers can access program scoped tags directly with the proper syntax:

Program:programName.TagName

...barry suydam said:
...what I am trying to do is move data from a program tag list to the controller tag list. so i can export it to create a tag list for an HMI.

With the mention of a "list" for both the source and destination of the MOV instruction, I'd hazard a guess here that our friend may actually be asking how does he "index" through the source list and copy each list member to the equivalent destination tag member, possibly trying to achieve this on one rung, using one MOV instruction?

I might be "off" on my reading of this. But still, even if it is something else they are inquiring about, moving one list to another might scream "indexing" here as one solution and so possibly worth mentioning?

If it's a straight move of x contiguous list members then never mind.

It depends on the goal I suppose?

If wanting to know what goes on "under the hood" then that is a totally different question to answer, but I'll hold off on that.

Regards,
George

Last edited: