Heavy enclosures

blperkins

Hi everyone,

So, I am a one person business. I mostly do programming, but I also build a few panels each year. Most the panels are small, but I have been building some larger units lately, and I am getting older and a the 48*24 inch panels are getting heavier.

I am debating buying a fork lift or skid steer with forks but but then I have that equipment sitting around when not being used. I am wondering what you other guys use to put panels in enclosures?

Go to the gym? LOL I put panels in boards with the help of someone I can find. They are usually 2000 x 800 mm. No one near you who could help? I use Eldon enclosures and they are pretty easy.

For getting the plate in to the enclosure I get the enclosure to a reasonable height using the trolley lift and then use three loops of 'hairy string' and a second pair of hands.

After that the trolley is used for all moving. I have a temporary ramp to get outside then it is an easy jack up and slide in to the van.

On the website I found this one they call it a '500kg Hydraulic Platform Table Trolley Lift Mobile Lifting Table Cart Truck'. I think they have all the bases covered with that description.

Trolley Lift.jpg

I second the use of an engine hoist. I move a lot of stuff around with it. The one I have is an older unit with a higher capacity than the Harbor Freight unit that Gene Bond gave the link to, but it is the same style.

By "lifting panels into enclosures", do you mean lifting the mounting plate into the enclosures after installing the components onto the mounting plate ?
If so, it is a problem that the mounting plate is usually relatively flimsy, it only get the rigidity by being screwed into the enclosure. If you install heavy components onto the mounting plate such as large contactors or VFDs, then I think it is risky to try and lift the entire mounting plate.

This is how our panel-bilders do it:
The place the empty mounting plate horisontally, place all components that needs mounting screws - DIN rails, wire ducts, busbar fittings, large contactors etc. - the best layout is decided, and then all the required holes for mounting are drilled and tabbed.
The lighter parts are installed - DIN rails, terminals, wire ducts.
The mounting plate is then lifted into the enclosure and fixed into place.
The heavy parts are installed - bus bars, contactors, MCCBs, VFDs etc.
The wiring is then finished.

I use this gantry setup. It is by far one of the wiser investments I made into my back. It was about $1,600 and has a one ton capacity. What I like about it is it takes up almost no room compared to other options plus it worked with my wooden floor. I laid 3/4 steel tracks on the floor then put another layer of 3/4 plywood down around it so it can run all the way down but there is nothing to trip over on the floor.
attachment.php

IMG_20190425_073639.jpg

By "lifting panels into enclosures", do you mean lifting the mounting plate into the enclosures after installing the components onto the mounting plate ?
If so, it is a problem that the mounting plate is usually relatively flimsy, it only get the rigidity by being screwed into the enclosure. If you install heavy components onto the mounting plate such as large contactors or VFDs, then I think it is risky to try and lift the entire mounting plate.

This is how our panel-bilders do it:
The place the empty mounting plate horisontally, place all components that needs mounting screws - DIN rails, wire ducts, busbar fittings, large contactors etc. - the best layout is decided, and then all the required holes for mounting are drilled and tabbed.
The lighter parts are installed - DIN rails, terminals, wire ducts.
The mounting plate is then lifted into the enclosure and fixed into place.
The heavy parts are installed - bus bars, contactors, MCCBs, VFDs etc.
The wiring is then finished.

We generally do as much wiring as possible before mounting the back plate, because, esp on large enclosures, it is clumsy to wire them after they are mounted in the enclosure.

On large ones, with heavy components, we have used an overhead crane and used long straps underneath to support the weight of the components, rather than lifting by the corners or edges.

We generally do as much wiring as possible before mounting the back plate, because, esp on large enclosures, it is clumsy to wire them after they are mounted in the enclosure.
Leaning over a horisontal mounting plate is not good for your back. Doing the wiring when it is vertical will mean you have to do more moving up and down with your legs, but it is better for your back.
This is how our panel builders do it, and they have to do this all day long.

Leaning over a horisontal mounting plate is not good for your back. Doing the wiring when it is vertical will mean you have to do more moving up and down with your legs, but it is better for your back.
This is how our panel builders do it, and they have to do this all day long.

Well I feel rather sorry for your panel builders.;)
I agree leaning over a large back panel is hard on your back, but I also find that when working in an enclosure you are both needing to bend your legs and your back ahead which is doubly hard on the body.

In my opinion the most ideal is an angle lift table for wiring the back panel and then install it in the enclosure when complete. On very large items, like VFDs, I may remove them before installing the back panel to the enclosure. It is quick then to reconnect the wiring once the back panel is installed.

Thanks, folks. great ideas!
I have looked into the gantry crane before and I might end up going down that path.
I did think of the engine hoist, I have a Harbor Freight down the road. I am going to stop in tomorrow and pick one up and give it a try.

Thanks again,