PV600 Tag addressing with compactlogix

wevie0037@

I seem to have run into what should be a simple problem, yet it is driving me crazy.

Machine currently has SLC500 processor with a PV600 panel. I am replacing the SLC500 with a CompactLogix.

Converting the Logix is a simple matter of export/import/clean.

The PV is giving me my problems.

Basically, I have a 1768-L43 processor and a 2711-B6C5 Panelview. They are connected with a straight through serial cable. I cannot seem to create a tag on Panelbuider and in RSLogix500 that both programs will accept.

Of course the Panelbuilder software likes a tag address of B3:0/1, but the Logix5000 will not accept that. If I call the bit Start_Pushbutton - then Logix5000 likes it and panelbuilder doesn't accept it.

What manner of tag terminology is best to use that will work under both platforms?

The PanelView Standard terminals were around long before the ControlLogix, and native Logix tag name support was added into PanelBuilder32 in stages. I'm not sure if the DH-485 network terminals have ever supported Logix tag names.

I recommend that for efficiency and compatibility reasons, you have the PanelView treat the CompactLogix as though it was an SLC. Maintain the SLC style addressing in your PanelBuilder32 application, and configure the CompactLogix to respond to SLC style address requests.

In RSLogix 5000, go to the Logic -> Map PLC/SLC Messages configuration window.

This feature allows you to configure ControlLogix array tags to be accessible over a communications channel using PLC/SLC addressing.

For example, you'd create a tag called "PV_Bits[xx]", with a data type of INT[xx], where [xx] is the number of elements in the Integer Array.

In the Map PLC/SLC Messages window, you configure an entry with a File Number (let's say 3) and the Tag Name.

When the PanelView requests "B3:1/2", the CompactLogix will reply with the value of "PV_Bits[1].2"

Hopefully the addressing in your PanelBuilder32 application uses adjacent data tables rather than scattering tags all over the SLC data table. If it doesn't, you might want to do some cleanup.

This will work for B, N, and F data types only. If you have an application using Strings or ASCII data, you might have to take another approach.

Regretfully, part of this aplication uses Strings. Would I be better off replacing the 2711-B6C5 with something along the lines of a 2711-T6C20 which communicates via IP addressing?

(I'm aware that the first part number is touch/keypad and the second is only touch, but I just pulled those numbers off of the devices sitting on the shelf in front of me)

The PanelView Standard terminals were around long before the ControlLogix, and native Logix tag name support was added into PanelBuilder32 in stages. I'm not sure if the DH-485 network terminals have ever supported Logix tag names.

I recommend that for efficiency and compatibility reasons, you have the PanelView treat the CompactLogix as though it was an SLC. Maintain the SLC style addressing in your PanelBuilder32 application, and configure the CompactLogix to respond to SLC style address requests.

In RSLogix 5000, go to the Logic -> Map PLC/SLC Messages configuration window.

This feature allows you to configure ControlLogix array tags to be accessible over a communications channel using PLC/SLC addressing.

For example, you'd create a tag called "PV_Bits[xx]", with a data type of INT[xx], where [xx] is the number of elements in the Integer Array.

In the Map PLC/SLC Messages window, you configure an entry with a File Number (let's say 3) and the Tag Name.

When the PanelView requests "B3:1/2", the CompactLogix will reply with the value of "PV_Bits[1].2"

Hopefully the addressing in your PanelBuilder32 application uses adjacent data tables rather than scattering tags all over the SLC data table. If it doesn't, you might want to do some cleanup.

This will work for B, N, and F data types only. If you have an application using Strings or ASCII data, you might have to take another approach.

Just to entertain myself and be sure that I have a grasp on this, I set up a simple system to test this out. In Logix, I started with a clean slate and added only the one INT: PV_Bits[32]

Logic -> Map PLC/SLC Messages
File Number: 3 (That should be for any B3 bits in the PV?)
Name: PV_Bits
(OK)

In the Panelview, I have only one screen with one momentary button. Write single bit.

Tag Name: Button
Data Type: Bit
Tag Address: B3:1/2

When all is loaded and running, the PV does not have any communications faults, but when you push the button:

ERROR: Unable to write to remote device.

??????????????????????

To little information.

Please let me know what information would help you to help me and I will provide it. Thank you.

New day, same issues. I'm seriously considering biting the bullet and picking up a PV+ just to be done with this.

Hello, I wonder if you could help me, I'm having the same circumstance, what would be the right approach with the strings and ASCII registers?

Thanks for your support!