Siemens s7 300 job spec

rigicon

Hi all. We have a job coming up lots of conveyors and simple transferring cyclinders & switches etc to other conveyors(feeding machines)- ladder all the way nothing too complicated. We were going to use the little S7 200 haven't got to S7 1200 yet. The client has S7 300 all over the factory and the system would have more or less 64 inputs 48 outputs but will be spread out in 3 panels so it was going to be 3 x S7 200 panels. Is the best solution to use the S7 300 with profibus and 2 remote IO? as I don't think the S7 200 could handle remote IO only expansion.
I have programmed S7 300 before but not profibus so am new to the profibus setup.
What is the minimum spec Cpu as the program will be simple ladder and speed is not a major issue.
Should we be looking at profinet?
Station 1 HMI + CPU + 16in/16out
Station 2 remote Io 32in/16 out
Station 3 remote Io 15in/16 out

Any thoughts would be extremely helpful.:unsure:

If cost is not an issue I'd go with the 300 and ET200 racks on Profibus. This is extremely simple to implement. In the hardware configuration you just add a rack, drop in an ET200 module, and start putting S7-300 I-O modules in the rack. Whatever address you assign in the hardware configuration (I 16.0 or Q12.0) is what your ladder program will use. There will be dip switches on the ET200 module to set the Profibus node address, this has to match what is in the hardware configuration. Once this is done you won't be able to tell the modules are not in the same rack as the CPU.

Thanks Paul. There will be 5 x identical systems. What cpu as one port will be connected to a HMI and the other to the profibus (DP i think not sure) I have heard of the ET200 racks.

The CPU314C-2DP is a compact CPU, meaning its like a brick with some built-in I-O. It has 24 in and 16 out so that might be ideal for your application.

Again if cost is not an issue, I prefer to use standard CPU's like the CPU315-2DP. What I don't like about the compact CPU's is if you lose an output you have to replace the entire thing, not just the output module.

Would be a perfect job for an IM151-8 + 2 x ET200S expansion racks via Profinet.
Very easy to setup, with a little help from PLCs.net maybe ;)

Only thing, maybe the customer expects an S7-300 system since he is using these already.

I'm glad to see some other minds jumping in. :)

We prefer ET200M. It's a breeze. I have heard horror stories about configuring the ET200S, though have never tried it myself.

Thanks for the replies. I have no idea if it is ET200M or ET200S remote I/O. It wouldn't matter as this is a completely new installation. The only criteria is Siemens controls.
The 5 x systems must be separate of each other I probably shouldn't of mentioned that there were 5.
Basically the system is a conveyor feeder to 3 machines into machine one out machine 1 into machine 2 etc. Not hard to program but the intelligence switches IO is needed. ie wait for machine load etc conveyor on pusher cyclinders etc.

I like the idea of keeping all line installations similar, from a site perspective im sure they would be in favour.
We have 3 x lines with approx. 30 conveyors on each.
Each use a S7-315-2DP out to a DP/ASi Link20E module then all you need to do is run an asi cable through conduit beneath the length of the conveyor and latch on your Siemens 4 input/4 output blocks, in conjunction with this an aux. 24v dc supply runs with the asi on a seperate cable for firing e.g. solenoids etc out in the field.

This keeps cabling to a minimum also and config is simples!!

🍺

Each use a S7-315-2DP out to a DP/ASi Link20E module then all you need to do is run an asi cable through conduit beneath the length of the conveyor and latch on your Siemens 4 input/4 output blocks, in conjunction with this an aux. 24v dc supply runs with the asi on a seperate cable for firing e.g. solenoids etc out in the field.

This is getting interesting as we first thought of having 1 panel with the HMI & CPU in it and a further 2 boxes with the remote IO. But as we go round the conveyors wiring is going to be everywhere so this ASi link20E is very interesting never thought about it Cheers