Modems with Mitsubishi

Tony.Morgan

I understand it is possible to use a modem with a Mitsubishi E series HMI that will enable it to send alarms/reports via email.

Presumably the modem is linked to the RS232 port of the HMI - If this is the case will it be possible to access the plc/HMI progs remotely?

Anyone got experience in using E series for this purpose?

E-terminal/E-panel

Hi Tony

With E-terminals you can do as you says.

It have many great communications functions. You can send alarms/reports via email througt modem or ethernet, make web page, use JAVA applets, make data exchange between PLCs, use 2 different PLC drivers on the same HMI etc etc

Yes you can access the HMI through modem connection, and yes if transparent mode is supported by the plc driver, like Mitsubishi and some others, you can also access the PLC/PLC-network on the second port through the modem.

Here are some links:

http://www.e-terminals.com/download.html

Under the section "Download/Operator terminals/E-series/Start-Up documents" you will find some documents regarding communication.

The E-terminals is made by Beijer Electronics, Sweden, so if you can read swedish :) you can check out this adress:

http://www.beijer.se/swedish/Beijer_electronics/verksamhet/support/komigangdokument/index.htm

Look under "Kom igång-dokument/Kommunikation/Modem". There are several examples with analoge modem, GSM modem, SMS and e-mail. (The screen-shots of GX Developer are english...)

Good luck

Regards
Karl Egil

thomas

Im a university student and for my project i had to make up a subject. Something that has really interested me is remote maintanance of PLCs. so heres the question.

IF i have a mitsubishi FX 1N with a RS 232 DB card and a DIN rail mounted modem and on the pc side i have a modem and GX developer, can i access the plc and run gx developer. or any diagnostic program.

i have been told i may need to use an opc server and get drivers. Im not sure what they mean as they did not explain why or how they worked or why you needed them. So im kind at a loss what to do.

Any information would be brilliant.

Thanks everyone
James