losing communications

MAC P.

i am having issues keeping communications set up with my plc. so my slc 5/05, c-more touchscreen, and computer were all communicating properly when i left yesterday, but this morning the hmi and the plc will not communicate at all. this is not the first time it has done this. the processor cannot be found by rs linx nor the computer. i tried to ping the ip address but nothing comes back. the computer will recognize the hmi but rs linx dosent, i keep getting a yellow question mark saying its unrecognized. i am connected via ethernet and using a ethernet switch to chain the components. its beginning to be a pain in the rear having to reestablish communications every time and i am getting ready to send this out and they will be powering the system down at night. is there a way to keep the communications active forever? and if so how???

thanks in advance

Last edited:
hi bernie,
sorry im still new to this. so, i set the processor ip address using "bootp turbo" and so far the processor has kept the ip address i gave it.

Ken Roach posted here that the (BOOTP) ip address will persist until power-down.
Is this your situation?
Does it work until power-down?

when i "fix" my communications, i usually just recreate the communications driver in rslinx, but when i shut down for the night and reboot in the mornings i have to do it all over again. i dont know of an easier way to keep the 2 communicating.

In your 5/05 project make sure that the Ethernet is set up offline. See the picture with example IP. of course you will use your own data. Not that 'BOOTP ENABLE' is unchecked.

505 Comm.jpg

ok guys i powered down for a while then came back on and it (the hmi and plc) is still communicating thus far. when i open rs linx tho, the c-more hmi is still unrecognized. is that just normal? or does the hmi communications not even to be in rs linx?

i already set up the panel network through the c-more programming, but i thought that all comms also had to be set through rs linx... i may be over thinking it

As you've seen, even though RSLinx shows a yellow "?", the C-more panel still communicates just fine. To get rid of that yellow "?", you'll need an EDS file. Vendors can either embed the EDS file in to the device, or you can download it directly from the vendor's webpage (providing they have one). Again, the only thing this will do is replace the yellow "?" with a bitmap of the panel.

In RSLinx, if you right-click on the C-more panel, see if you have an option to "Upload EDS from device".

A red 'X' would mean - 'I don't see anything at that IP address - there is no response at all'

A Yellow '?' without the device name (or 'Unknown Device') means - 'I see something at that IP address but it isn't supplying Ethernet/IP identification information'

A yellow '?' with a device name means - 'The device supplied identification information (the device name and the filename for the EDS file) but I don't have the file it calls for with the specific information' (Note - the file is that long string of letters and nubers.)

Last edited:
y2kmfic,

there are no options for downloading an "eds" just "type of view, remove, driver diagnostics, or configure driver"

bernie,

it has a red x over the yellow question mark, i can ping it and i can blink the processor from it. i wasnt sure if i had to configure it in rs linx, everything seems to be talking to each other.

Continuing with Bernie's example.....

A Red 'X' over the Yellow question mark indicates "You told me to look for a device at this IP address, but I cannot see anything there".

Whereas just the Yellow question mark would mean, "I see something at this address but I do not know what it is."

OG