PanelView Plus 1000

kbnikki

We're having issues with a PanelView Plus 1000 shutting itself off. It will run perfectly for anywhere from 4-12 hours and then just turn off. A power cycle brings it back to running normally again for the next couple of hours. I tried deleting the application file and reloading it from a known working file. I ran all of the startup tests and didn't see anything abnormal. There are no faults or warnings that I can find. I'm really not sure where to look next. I'm not very familiar with these. Thanks!

I swapped it out yesterday. I have the old one sitting up here in our lab trying to see if there's anyway I can fix it to keep as a backup. Really hoping there's something that will work. I just can't bring myself to throw away that much $$$$.

How, precisely, does it turn itself off ?

Does the backlight turn off ?

Do you see it go through a shutdown (I realize that's going to be hard to witness) ?

Does it always reboot when you cycle power ?

Is it DC or AC powered ?

This sounds to me like a physical problem with the power supply section, which you won't be able to diagnose or repair with firmware or software.

Maybe worth finding a place that can repair. We have quite a few over here and all pretty cheap. You must have loads over there.

If the new one is ok, definitely hardware based.

From memory our failed unit was something to do with a small capacitor inside.

How, precisely, does it turn itself off ?

Does the backlight turn off ?

Do you see it go through a shutdown (I realize that's going to be hard to witness) ?

Does it always reboot when you cycle power ?

Is it DC or AC powered ?

This sounds to me like a physical problem with the power supply section, which you won't be able to diagnose or repair with firmware or software.

I guess I don't know for certain that it's 'off'. The most I can accurately tell is that the screen is black and unresponsive to touch or keyboard entry. I switched our screen saver from black screen to the 'AB' logo to see if it was just freezing on the screen saver, but it still goes black when it crashes. It was running the application when we noticed it the first few times, then yesterday I let it sit in the configuration mode to see if it would still crash from there. It did.

The backlight does turn off.

I haven't actually watched it go down to know if it does a 'shutdown' or not. Seeing it go down would require time sitting and staring at it for hours waiting, or sheer dumb luck. Neither of which I seem to have much of these days.

Power cycle always fixes the problem. And it runs normally again. For a while.

It's powered on 24VDC.

Maybe worth finding a place that can repair. We have quite a few over here and all pretty cheap. You must have loads over there.

If the new one is ok, definitely hardware based.

From memory our failed unit was something to do with a small capacitor inside.

Yes, the new one is working fine with the same application file and the same power supply. This one is doing the same thing now on a different power supply.

Looking into repair places will probably be my next step. I just didn't want to jump to that if it was something I could do on my own.

Had the same problem in a previous job.

Just added a N/C push button on the supply to the HMI.

Operators would then reset it themselves.

It was eventually a dicey power supply and heat build up.

Made my life easier while trying to track down two faults

Brian
🍻

Have you opened it up to look at the power supply, see if it is covered in dust or any signs of charring...?

Usually the power supply is my first check when ours go, give it a blow out and try again. Thankfully we have an AB contract, so we swap them out and they go back for repair. Generally power supply or backlight are the issues...

I opened it up and didn't see any visible corrosion, dust, or damage on any of the internals. On Thursday I wanted to test something out, so I booted it in safe mode. I left it just sitting in safe mode while I left for the weekend. I'm back now, about 67 hours since I put it in safe mode and it is still on and running. This is the longest it has gone without crashing since these problems started. Possibly a firmware issue? It crashes out in configuration mode and while running the application. Thoughts?

I have had a few screens go bad. I have just replaced the screen . What does the LEDs show on the control module ? Do you think just the screen is shutting down or the whole unit. They are a lot of money.