How to configure new transmitters?

IdealDan

Good Day Friends!

What are the Configurations required to configure and commission smart Transmitters (Pressure, Temperature,Flow and Level) at least on a general view (irrespective of OEM)?

Thanks in advance for your input

you have many choices to look at, may I suggest the following.
0-10 volts, -10 to +10 volts, 5 volts, 4-20ma, 0-20 ma and others.

Design your plc system and allow for analog connections.
determine what signal feedback you need into the plc analog inputs.
see what you can find on the market that fits your needs.
if electrical interference may be an issue, use 4-20 ma for example.

look at your customers / application requirements, I always try to beat the specs by at lease 1 decimal point. if its +/- 0.1 units, I try to be accurate to +/- 0.01 units.
read up on the devices and see if they are compatible.

when you purchase your devices, you will need to program the analog inputs to your required scaled values based on the plc you are using.

hope this helps,
james

Thanks Bro
I'm actually referring to calibration and initial Basic Set ups for new Transmitters, For example, I know of Basic settings like inputting the URV, LRV, unit of measurement, Tag, then calibrating the Transmitter.
Aside from these, I want to know if there are other configurations that are been carried out for newly installed Transmitters?

Last edited:
Other than reading the manuals, we calibrate our sensors using hart handheld units if applicable or use a fluke calibration meter to simulate the actual input data to the plc and calibrate the unit that way.

james

Other than reading the manuals, we calibrate our sensors using hart handheld units if applicable or use a fluke calibration meter to simulate the actual input data to the plc and calibrate the unit that way.

james
OK,
but for new Transmitters, what configurations do you or is required to be saved in it's memory aside from inputting the URV, LRV, unit of measurement, Tag etc?

There’s no generic answer to your question other than a smart transmitter requires whatever configuration it needs to make it work for the application, just like a PLC needs whatever programming is required for the application.

Temperature transmitters require a sensor input selection: Type of thermocpole or RTD alpha. No such selection on pressure transmitters - pressure is pressure - but is the output linear with input pressure or its normalized square root (flow from a DP)?

Level transmitters might have a mapping function to account for foreign objects.

Integral digital displays might need their own setup.

Answer - It all depends on the application.

There’s no generic answer to your question other than a smart transmitter requires whatever configuration it needs to make it work for the application, just like a PLC needs whatever programming is required for the application.

Temperature transmitters require a sensor input selection: Type of thermocpole or RTD alpha. No such selection on pressure transmitters - pressure is pressure - but is the output linear with input pressure or its normalized square root (flow from a DP)?

Level transmitters might have a mapping function to account for foreign objects.

Integral digital displays might need their own setup.

Answer - It all depends on the application.
Thanks Bro,
Could you please explain further on Mapping Function?
is it like normal selectable option?

'Mapping' or 'training' or 'learning' is a manually initiated function that records interference reflections in order to ignore the permanently installed objects that could be misinterpreted as a medium level/distance reflection. The method/procedure for running the function is specific to each manufacturer.

There are dozens, if not hundred or more parameters for any smart transmitter. Most are rarely used, but they're there.

Here's screen shots of the multiple Siemens DSIII pressure transmitter parameters as shown in Siemens PDM configuration software:
p-IT-8-as-found-1.jpg

p-IT-8-as-found-2.jpg

p-IT-8-as-found-3.jpgttp:

p-IT-8-as-found-4.jpg

p-IT-8-as-found-5.jpg

Thanks DanW.

1. Could you explaining the Trimming for me?

2. what functionality makes a Transmitter answer Smart Transmitter

The 4-20mA output can be ‘trimmed’ maybe plus/minus 1 to 2% at the 4.0 mA ‘zero’ and 20 mA span.

A smart transmitter is configured by various parameters, and its range is entered as a numerical value.

A dumb transmitter has only zero and span adjustments done by applying physical inputs; or it has fixed, non-adjustable range and no other configurable aspects.

The 4-20mA output can be ‘trimmed’ maybe plus/minus 1 to 2% at the 4.0 mA ‘zero’ and 20 mA span.

A smart transmitter is configured by various parameters, and its range is entered as a numerical value.

A dumb transmitter has only zero and span adjustments done by applying physical inputs; or it has fixed, non-adjustable range and no other configurable aspects.
Thanks Bro

I think of Procuring BEAMEX MC6 Process Calibrator(with In-built Hart Communicator, I'll equally appreciate a review on this device

Openly or via [email protected] if need be

Thanks Guys in Advance

Asking for a review of specific product in a thread with a different has a high probability of not reaching those who might respond.

You should probably start a new thread asking for your review.