OT: Limited Internet On A Long Flight

Aabeck

I am suffering through a restricted internet connection on a 14 hour flight to China. I can access this site, but no access to any email server (even my work server) no Google - search, mail, maps, translate, pictures, Google Earth. No Yahoo anything. No video or music streaming including YouTube & Vudu) Can't even access any bank to check on credit card charges.

I really hope this trade show in China is worth the trip - it was highly recommended by a colleague.

And even though it is in airplane mode, cell phones have to be powered off - laptops and tablets only.

Didn't know you could get internet across an ocean...

There is always booze....

From Quora:

Derek Schatz, I work in aviation and I fly a lot.
Updated Oct 27 · Featured in Forbes
Originally Answered:
What technologies allow airplanes to carry on-board WiFi?
[I used to work for a provider of in-flight WiFi...]

There are two primary methods to enable a passenger Internet connection on an airplane: satellite and air-to-ground. I'll talk about some of the key points on each of those, then talk about the in-cabin WiFi access point part.

Air-to-ground

As the name implies, signals go from the airplane directly to antennas on the ground
Uses a network of ground cell towers across the continental U.S. (therefore does not work over water). These towers' cells are much larger than those of the typical cell towers used for phones.
Uses a version of CDMA, just like Verizon cell phones
Antennas are on the belly of the airplane, looks like a small fin
As the airplane flies, the connection hands off from one tower to the next just like your phone does when you're driving. Users don't notice any interruption.
Network infrastructure is much cheaper than satellite
Bandwidth for the newest generation system (ATG4) is up to 9.8 megabits per second (Mbps) per airplane (shared across all users). This is enough for email and casual web surfing, but would get quickly exhausted if people stream video - so this is usually blocked. See [3] below.
Gogo is the top provider of this type of service [1]
Installed on over 1,000 aircraft operating on domestic routes in the U.S., including Delta, American, Virgin America, and Alaska [2]
Plans announced in late 2014 by Inmarsat to partner with Gogo on a hybrid ATG+satellite solution for Europe
Satellite

Unlike air-to-ground, signals from the airplane go into space to an orbiting satellite and then down to the ground. These satellites are usually in geostationary orbit, 22,300 miles up.
Three types offer different levels of performance (bands indicate specific transmission frequency ranges):
L-band (e.g. Inmarsat Swift Broadband): pretty slow, max 422kbps per channel per airplane
Ku-band (e.g. Panasonic, Global Eagle, and Gogo): tops out at around 20-40Mbps per airplane. Speeds depend on how many airplanes are in the satellite's transponder "footprint" (aka spot beam)
Ka-band (near future, satellites launching soon): promises even higher speeds
A modern satellite has dozens of transponders to support a large number of simultaneous connections, e.g. ships, airplanes, portable ground terminals
Leasing transponders (antennas) on satellites is very expensive, so this cost is usually passed on to the airline and the passengers. But Jetblue offers it for free.
The airplane’s antenna is on the top of the fuselage, under a bubble-shaped radome
Only choice for trans-oceanic routes, and routes flying closer to the polar region (since you can't put cell towers in the ocean)
Using satellites means a few hundred milliseconds more latency since the data packets need to go 22,300 miles up to the satellite, then roughly 22,300 miles back down to the airplane. New constellations of low earth orbit (LEO) satellites providing lower latency high bandwidth connections are in development since 2015, e.g. by SpaceX.
Installed base not large yet but growing, targeted initially for routes between the U.S. and Europe
As the airplane flies, the antenna on the top of the plane is steered or electronically aimed to stay pointed at the correct transponder on the satellite up in orbit. For long-haul flights, there will likely be a handoff from one satellite to another when moving between coverage areas. This happens via coordination on the ground, and the airborne users may only notice a very brief hiccup. From the satellite's viewpoint, it switches airplanes from one transponder to the next as it moves between the beams pointed at the ground.
If you want more technical detail, here is a very nice presentation put together by Panasonic on use of Ku-band for airplanes: http://airfax.com/blog/wp-conten...
Edit: In support of your sub-question, I should add that the standard TCP network protocol we all use is pretty tolerant of shorter interruptions in network connectivity. This means your session on your email or web server will actually drop pretty infrequently.

In the airplane cabin, there are multiple WiFi access points (WAPs) for passengers to connect to. A large twin-aisle plane may have as many as 6 of these, while a B737 or A320 usually has just 2. From the WAP, the passenger's connection is routed through an onboard server to the satellite or air-to-ground communications system and then goes off board. For both technologies, the goal is to make the passenger's connection as seamless as possible as the aircraft moves through the sky.

Note: In case you're wondering... no, it is not possible to take over control of an airplane remotely over a passenger Internet link. Or any other link, for that matter.

Links:
[1] Gogo’s tech and coverage map: Gogo ATG4 | Gogo Commercial Aviation
[2] Delta: http://www.delta.com/content/www... ,
American: Wi-Fi and connectivity
Alaska: Alaska Beyond Inflight Entertainment | Alaska Airlines
[3] A nice article on the challenges and the future of in-flight Wi-Fi: How Terrible In-Flight Wi-Fi Will Finally Become A Thing Of The Past
131.8k Views · View Upvotes

Edit: Link to article

Last edited:
BCS,

Chances are I flew right over you, or north of you. Going from Chicago to Shanghai the plane made an arc to above Alaska, and it shows the air temp outside is -79C, hope it's not that cold for you stuck at sea level.

I guess you're not in business class then...

By the way, when you come back don't connect your laptop to the company/home network and have IT or yourself do an offline virus check.

A guy I worked with (although he doesn't work in that department, the company does plenty of work for military applications), every time he went to China for business he would be issued with a used laptop and everything had to be kept in a USB stick.
When he returned home, the hard drive would be nuked (DBAN) and he could carry on with his normal computer. They adopted these measures after about 90% of people going to China coming back with "bugs" in the laptop.

That's one way... although it doesn't stop someone from booting your laptop with any OS of their choice and browse/place whatever they wanted in there. I think that's what they were mentioning there.

What about using encrypted os ? Veracrypt can do that. Or even encrypted virtual machine ?
It's been a long time since i had contact with those, I know there are cold boot attacks, but what else can You do to feel safe apart things mentioned before?

BCS,

Chances are I flew right over you, or north of you. Going from Chicago to Shanghai the plane made an arc to above Alaska, and it shows the air temp outside is -79C, hope it's not that cold for you stuck at sea level.

Yep that is pretty cold, I know people that live in Alaska and they say it has been -34F to -40F at night and never reaching 0F during the day for a high.

I am currently in Seattle though, boat is at the dock till January, when we will get the pleasure of returning North to those temperatures ourselves.
That is way to cold for this southern boy, but being in engineering I try to hide someplace warm most of the time.

At least here in Seattle at the dock we are able to go have a couple cold ones after work if we choose to. 🍺 I have not gotten out much this time though, just bought a new (to me) truck and now have 3 houses I am rebuilding after we flooded back in Sept, so trying to spend as little as possible for the rest of the year.

Enjoy your trip to the land of China.

BCS

Sounds crazy, but USB ports are the way in.
Well, obviously hotel wifi.
It's probably already too late.
Put vital stuff on a USB thumb drive, make sure the battery is out of the computer when you arrive back in the states.
Look cool at your next outside bonfire party by saying f this shyt while throwing said laptop into the middle of the bonfire.

Then say, just kidding, that is actually the new protocol at work.

Rinse and repeat, get new laptop after every trip.

I wonder if an encrypted VPN would open up the Internet for you. I use PIA vpn in alot of the places I work in because of such locked down networks. Some places you can barely browse documents for equipment during startups.
PIA even has https ports open for vpn in case the IT guy locked all the common vpn ports down.

I made it, finally. Had a nice experience as a random check target with customs. The hotel has its own internet WiFi from a satellite feed - so no servers restricted by China. They will not allow any Google access (search, images, translator, YouTube, gmail, etc.) even my heavily into Google Android phone wont allow any of the Google registered app's or the Play Store to connect unless I am on the hotel WiFi.

As far as security, nothing critical on this easily nuked laptop I brought, all of my needed files are copied on a couple of USB flash's and everything is on either my OneDrive or DropBox folders so I can access them over the WiFi.
EDIT: and most things are copied on the 128G SD card in my phone I can connect to.

Last edited:
Hopefully you can team viewer or rut et al into a home computer in case you need to well, you know.