Import/Export in InTouch Runtime

krishna431

Hello,

I have installed the development version of Wonderware InTouch in one server, and the runtime version of the same in another. This is so I can develop the system on my own, but anyone who uses the runtime can operate it (and I don't have to be worried they'll make changes).
Now I'm facing a problem when I try to import an application into the runtime version of InTouch. The import/export option is unavailable/disabled. In fact, many of the menu options are disabled. I can only open an application when I use the "Find" option. For this, I have to "Publish" my application in the development version and this creates a bulky folder. However, if I had used Import and Export, I would only be using a single aaPKG file.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

RunTime.jpg

Why not just copy your development app to the runtime station?
During a convenient time shut down the app that is running and start the new developed app with changes.

Hi Nathan. I don't think its good practice to copy and paste applications. Since they have related files and folders, applications which are copied and pasted may not always work. I initially tried copying and pasting applications between different systems, and the application would not work properly afterwords. I had to call Wonderware tech support, and they informed me that in the process of copying and pasting the application to a different location, I had lost a database which was created in the back end by InTouch. Apparently, InTouch creates databases when an application is created, and therefore if the database is lost, the application can not run.

If it is straight intouch v11 then you can copy application folders all day long every day. There's no secret DB created anywhere. It's the only way I've moved around intouch apps for 20 years.

The only time copying a folder over might be a problem that I've ran into is if an application was created in the Archestra IDE OR uses an Archestra object and was published and copied. Editing that project in straight Windowmaker without going through the IDE presents certain problems. If this project was made in straight up Intouch Windowmaker you can go ahead and zip up the folder and move it around all day.

Ok, thank you for the info. But getting back to importing/exporting in the runtime version - any idea why it is not possible for me?

Ok, thank you for the info. But getting back to importing/exporting in the runtime version - any idea why it is not possible for me?

What OS do you have it installed in? It looks like Windows 10, I don't know that that version of Intouch is technically compatible.

Yes, it is Windows 10. Development version works fine in Windows 10. Do you think the Runtime version wouldn't be compatible?

I'd ask your distributor. I know that Windows 10 wasn't officially supported until 2014 R2 SP1 so if you are licensed for 2014 R2 make sure you have SP1 installed. In my experience, running software in newer versions of Windows that it wasn't designed for makes all sorts of weird issues pop up.

WW has a "compability matrix " showing supported combinations of OS as well as other programs. Do not use unsupported bc 99% can work but then unexplainable things not.

Regarding importing it is my experience that "modern" applications can not be copied but must be imported. And they must also be "published" to be able to open with Runtime licence. "Classic" applications on the other hand can't be imported but are easily copied.

The installation of runtime/Dev I don't understand. I install the same and then change the license files when I need to develop.

Br
Jon