Panel View Comms

f16bmathis

Hey, just wondering, I'm editing a Panel view and I am used to seeing the comm tag looking like this:

{::[PLC_NAME]Tag_Name}

And on the PanelView I am editing, it looks like this:

{[PLC_NAME]TAG_Name}

Is there anything different about these two methods?

Thanks!

Hey, just wondering, I'm editing a Panel view and I am used to seeing the comm tag looking like this:

{::[PLC_NAME]Tag_Name}

And on the PanelView I am editing, it looks like this:

{[PLC_NAME]TAG_Name}

Is there anything different about these two methods?

Thanks!

AHA! Looks like I've finally stumped you guys! No replies in the last 20 minutes!🍻

I've never quite understood this perfectly, because in FactoryTalk SE there's also an opening colon-bracketed :AREA: name when you have a multi-server system.

In FactoryTalk View ME, the opening double colon means "the following PLC data address is from an SLC/PLC and contains a colon".

So for PLC/SLC/MicroLogix direct references, a typical field is

{::[SandPounder]N10:0}

You don't need that opening double-colon when the PLC data address is a ControlLogix/CompactLogix Tag Name, since colons can't be part of those tags.

I suspect that FTView Studio just adds them sometimes because they make SLC/PLC/MicroLogix references work correctly, and because they don't make ControlLogix/CompactLogix references work incorrectly.

Just from (faulty) memory, the :: is the local area.

That is only important in FTView SE; to tell the difference between different areas and data servers.

But, FTView ME and SE share code (RSLE) so that syntax will come up.
Looks like it's only with non-Logix controllers (?); I'll take your word for it.

I thought you only put in :: if you wanted to direct ref. tags in the HMI to the PLC (not using the HMI tag database). It's been awhile though.

It's the Shortcut Name in the square brackets that designates a direct reference to the PLC. HMI tags can be used all by themselves.

I thought you only put in :: if you wanted to direct ref. tags in the HMI to the PLC (not using the HMI tag database). It's been awhile though.

{[Target]Tag} will also directly work.

**EDIT: I seem to remember that when seeing the whole syntax, it's referencing a tag that isn't controller scope. It's usually a local tag in the task.

{::[Target]Program:Task.Tag}

Last edited: