HMI bootup delay settings?

Kamputty

Hi all,

I hope all is well with you and yours.

I have a Allen Bradley Panelview T4T HMI, and everything is working fine. My question is, is there a way to delay the bootup time for the HMI?

Meaning, when I power up my HMI and PLC, the PLC takes about 30 more seconds to bootup completely, but my HMI has already started and "asking" for data from the PLC; this causes an error on the HMI until the PLC comes online.

Is there a way to tell the HMI to wait 60 seconds for a boot up etc?

Thanks!

~Kam

its not that I turn it off, but when the PLC/HMI do get turned off for whatever reason, I would like the HMI NOT to show errors when they startup.

Usually an AB plc is on the matured list before a screen boots up if switched on at the same, not that it is ever a problem.

If in some circles it is, power a relay from the plc to to latch an output from S:FS to power the screen.

You could simply power your HMI through an on delay timer.
s-l300.jpg

The first screen that comes up should have a message 'PLC not ready', only when the PLC is up does screen number two show automatically. It stops the questions about why any errors show and if the first screen is up for long they know that there is a problem with the PLC. You may be tempted to make that message 'PLC not ready, so don't ask about any error messages', or maybe something less polite :)

The first screen that comes up should have a message 'PLC not ready', only when the PLC is up does screen number two show automatically. It stops the questions about why any errors show and if the first screen is up for long they know that there is a problem with the PLC. You may be tempted to make that message 'PLC not ready, so don't ask about any error messages', or maybe something less polite :)

You can try to write macro to suppress other functions before. PV might not have this ability. I really seen many projects use PLC output or timmer relay to power HMI.

I occasionally have this problem with Red Lion HMI's especially the (now obsolete) G3 series. They boot and will be running like a gazelle in around 7 seconds. The Graphites boot and start polling in around 10 seconds, and the CR series varies between 13 and 18 seconds. When the issue arises, I just add a program with an internal bit that disables the comms lost alarm for the first few seconds or until the IsDeviceOnline() function for that device returns true.

The only really slow booting legacy PLC I have seen was a SLC 5/05 with 64K of ram and 5 DeviceNet scanners in its chassis. It seemed to take around 30 seconds to go to run mode, but I am not sure how long after power up before it would respond to polls.

What PLC is the OP using that is slower to boot than ANY model PainelView?

Last edited:
Guardlogix PLCs can be slow, thats the ones I experienced the HMI getting started before the PLC.

Edit: Thinking about it, its not the PLC, its those darn Stratix Managed Switches that take forever to start.

Last edited: