Compact Logix Addresses for Omron NS5

Thor Hammer

PLC: 1769-L32C

Input Cards: 2 Each 1769IQ16

Output cards: 1 Each 1769-QB16

This system has been in operation for 10 years. The client decided to have our company change out the old Panel View HMI for an Omron NS5 communicating via serial.

The problem I'm having is the tag names in the Omron touch screen. I cannot use the actual alphanumeric tag name as shown in the PLC in the Omron NS5. When I do it gives me an error message of "unused symbols in project" and I cant download. Turns out I have to use the numeric address. I don't know how to do this.

I attached two screen shots. One is symbol input which evidently is incorrect. the other is input direct address which is correct.

Problem is I don't know what to put in the "File No." field. In the example provided on the Omron website it is shown as a number. See attached screen shot. Where do I find the file no. for the input or output I am addressing to? I understand slot no. and bit no. of course.

Additionally, I can certainly input my physical I/O I am using in the HMI once I know what to put in the File no. field. But how do I assign a numeric address to the internal relays and inputs that are not attached to physical I/O in my PLC program to use in the HMI? Like turning on and off my pump for example.

Any help greatly appreciated. I miss the days of using C-More panels. Not as powerful but so easy to work with.

Input Direct Address.png Omron Address Example.png Symbol Programming_Wrong.png

I believe you need to map the CompactLogix addresses to SLC/PLC5 style addresses. Try looking at the help file and searching for "mapping" in RSLogix 5000