Unity Pro Questions (Beginner)

dwpang

Hi I am learning Unity Pro and I have some questions which I cant figure out despite reading the manual myself. Appreciate some guidance and advice from seniors here.

1) Referring to pic unitypro1, EN value is at 0. Does that mean this function block will not work unless i set it to 1?

2) Referring to pic unitypro2, the input value is twido_local_18[9]. I understand that twido_local_18 is a set or array which I can define myself. However, what is the value 9 means? does it mean the 9th value of the array? For example if my array is from %mw1 to %mw10, it means %mw9?

3) Referring to pic unitypro3, the ADDM output is linked to the ADR of the write_var block. Does it mean the write_var is writing to 0.0.0.1?

Thanks.

unitypro1.jpg unitypro2.jpg unitypro3.jpg

Yes, Yes and Yes
The picture is of an ADDM block used in an ethernet network. I'm not sure what address the '0.0.0.1' represents? Prob some serial device.
If you right click on the addm block and select "help on type" it give a good explanation with examples of the addressing

addm_block.JPG

Thanks chud. But for question 1, is it confirmed?
Meaning if my EN is at 0, my function block will not regardless of what i do?

Yes, GeofC another user on this site just mentioned some time back that when you disable it the output legs will stay in the state that it was just before writing a 0 to EN leg

Chud the en with a zero value is a bit of a gotcha for some functions it will hold its output and for others it will clear the output to zero. It will hold the value if the output is directly connected to a variable but if the output is connected only to a link then in most cases it will be set to zero
I try to avoid using the en pin I think in most cases the SEL function is a clearer way of conditionally set variables

Just a thought for the OP try using the FB language rather than LAD in Unity. I find it much clearer and easier. The en pin is not even shown (it can be if required), in this language it is not necessary to connect en pins. Also just link the output from one function block to the next block so there are much less internal variables to worry about. It also animates really well

Last edited:
There is another trap for any function block inputs including the EN pin, if you have a variable or constant connected to a pin and you delete that variable or constant (during an online program change) the state of the function block input will retain the state prior to the program change.

Hi appreciate any one's help.

Now facing some troubles on the M340 programming.
Currently I have two panels of Twido coupled with TWDNOZ485D (serial MINI-din type) connected to M340 master panel.

Layout of connection is as shown in Pic 1, Pic 2.

For simplicity, I shall name the main Twido panel as local panel, and the other Twido panel as remote panel.
The local panel rs485 cable is connected to the LU9GC3 port 1, and the remote panel rs485 cable is connected to the LU9GC3 port 2.
There is an ethernet cable connected from the LU9GC3 IN port to the BMXP342020 modbus port. It should be wrong but somehow it works on and off.
Question 1: What is the correct connection or method or cables from the modbus port of BMXP342020 to LU9GC3?

Also, I connected my PLC to the M340 via USB instead of ethernet cable. Reason is even when I set the IP address and subnet correctly, there is an error flashing saying "This isn't a valid PLC address, or PLC is busy, or media is off".
Question 2: What can cause such a problem behind the connectivity of the ethernet cable between PC and the M340? And is it ok if I continue using the USB cable for programming and debugging purposes?

I have also attached a sample program (2 diff files types in zip), simply just to read the variables from both local and remote panel, and write the corresponding variables to the other panel. However it does not work.
So I reduce the program to simply read a float variable from my local panel.
Upon looking up the Unity Pro animation table, there is no value read.
Attached are some pictures illustrating the programs in Pic 4, and Pic 8.
Question 3: Is there any mistakes I have occurred in the programming or configuration?

Question 4: Are there any things or mistakes I may have overlooked, perhaps in terms of wiring and cables?

Any assistance is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Pic 1 M340 Layout.jpg Pic 2 LU9GC3 PartI.jpg Pic 8 M340 Program.jpg Pic 4 Local Twido Program.jpg

Attachments

• unitypro trial.zip
    21.6 KB · Views: 6
"Also, I connected my PLC to the M340 via USB instead of ethernet cable. Reason is even when I set the IP address and subnet correctly, there is an error flashing saying "This isn't a valid PLC address, or PLC is busy, or media is off".
Question 2: What can cause such a problem behind the connectivity of the ethernet cable between PC and the M340? And is it ok if I continue using the USB cable for programming and debugging purposes?"

Have you tried ethernet switch, M340 needs ethernet link active status from partner device, if you have config ethenert port but there isn't cable connected it will give error light for ethernet.
It is ok to program via usb, you don't need nesessary ethenet, but erhernet is little bit faster.