RSLogix 5000 MSG help

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Guys,

I'm trying to set up a message instruction between two Compact Logix processors that are on the same ethernet network. All I'm looking to accomplish is read data from a processor Labeled "PortHardy". I have the instruction config as follows:

- CIP Data Table Read
- Source element "Tritech_P_330" (this is a DINT data type)
- Number of elements 1
Destination element "ABJ_P_330" (also a DINT data type)

I tried to set the path using the "browse" option and selected the PortHardy controller. I cannot get the comms path to work.

The IP address for Port hardy is AB_ETHIP-1\192.168.24.30\backplane\0*

What am I doing wrong here? I really need to get this message set up and working to get a motor up and running.

There is also a Gateway address used to access both these PLC's from a laptop if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
The IP Address of the PLC receiving data is AB_ETHIP-1\192.168.24.10\Backplane\0*

Also When I look at the browse option for comms path I'm only able to see the controller that I'm currently working on. I cannot see the controller that I wish to read from. I tried manually typing in the IP address but it keeps saying failed to set path value, module could not be found.

Also looking on another PLC at another site, their Ethernet messaging comms path looks like this on the MSG comms config “LocalENB, 2, 10.1.152.31, 1, 0” what is the “LocalENB”?

LocalENB in that case, is the name of the ethernet adapter in that PLC.

Code:
1,S1,2,xxx.yyy.zzz.www,1,S2
Where:
1 is the backplane for the first chassis (the clx backplane always uses 1)
S1 is the slot of the 1756-ENBT in the first chassis (the first position on the left is 0, second 1,...)
2 is to go outside to the Ethernet (always 2)
xxx.yyy.zzz.www is the IP address of the 1756-ENBT in the second chassis
1 is the backplane for the second chassis (always 1 for clx)
S2 is the slot of the CLX in the second chassis (starting from left the first position is 0, second 1,...)
Example 1,3,2,192.168.1.4,1,0

You can either list the backplane(1) and then S1(the slot of the ethernet adapter), Or you can list the 'name' of the ethernet adapter.