1756 enbt

Prayder

Lifetime Supporting Member
If I have two 1756 ENBTs in the same chassis, how does one connect to the network and still speak to the processor, drives and other devices that would not have the same IP address association as the one card?

Unlike DH+, ControlNet, DeviceNet, etc, you can't automatically browse through a ControlLogix backplane to a remote IP network.

You have to configure RSLinx Classic to connect to devices on the "remote" network.

Browse over the Ethernet driver to the 1756 chassis, then to the "remote" 1756-ENBT, then select the Ethernet network underneath that 1756-ENBT object in the network browse tree.

Right-click and select Properties, then select the Browse Addresses tab. That's where you enter the IP addresses of the remote devices.

That's for RSLinx Classic. I believe that RSLinx Enterprise will actually automatically browse the remote network, but I don't have a system handy to test that.

So even if both Ethernet cards are in the same chassis and I have one set for my 10.5.48.X network, it will consider the other card and devices to be remote?

If you're connecting to the 1756-ENBT over the ControlLogix backplane (or over a ControlNet network), it's considered "remote" and you need to use the "Browse Addresses" technique.

I do this frequently when I have an Ethernet LAN for my I/O and drives and HMI that's all on the 192.168.1.x address, and then I have another 1756-ENxx module connected to the plant's enterprise network.

Unfortunately we dont have a Controlnet network here. We have just the usual business network but are in the process of bringing our machines centers on to a network so that we can start mining information from them. As of right now all of our machine centers are stand alone islands of automation but we are trying to change that... So what would be a good place to start?

I was just mentioning that both a ControlLogix 1756-series backplane and a ControlNet network have the same ability to bridge between 1756-ENBT/EN2T modules on separate Ethernet networks.

A very good way to connect ControlLogix controllers to your enterprise network is precisely what you have described: add another 1756-ENBT/EN2T module to the chassis.

You could also use NAT devices, like the 9300-ENA or similar routers that allow you to connect together different small LANs.

Here is a technote on the procedure that Ken is outlining in RSLinx Classic...

26787 - Using Two Ethernet Modules to Create a Routed or Bridged Ethernet Network
Access Level: TechConnect

I hope you can access it?

Note how in RSLinx Classic v2.59 or lower you use the "Browse Addresses" tab and in RSLinx Classic v3.51 or higher you use the "Configure Browse" tab.

Regards,
George

I use a managed Ethernet switch from Automation Direct. Map the processor, HMI, and network ports together, then map the processor to my remote I/O through a different VLAN. They all have similar IPs, but the network can't see the remote I/O. That's with only 1 Ethernet connection on the PLC.

Ok.. So after much trial and error I am still unable to get my ENBT working. I have assigned a static IP Address. The DHCP server is set to work with DHCP and BOOTP protocols. I am including some screen shots of what I have. The display on the ENBT shows ok- 10.5.55.100. It shows configured in RSLinx and shows to have the IP address in the tree in controllogix. Could someone look at these and tell me if I need to change something.

rslinx-min.jpg rslinx connection-min.jpg controllogix-min.jpg

You need to right click on the "Ethernet" and select property, not the card.

What Ken said

Browse over the Ethernet driver to the 1756 chassis, then to the "remote" 1756-ENBT, then select the Ethernet network underneath that 1756-ENBT object in the network browse tree.

Right-click and select Properties, then select the Browse Addresses tab. That's where you enter the IP addresses of the remote devices.

Ok.. So after much trial and error I am still unable to get my ENBT working. I have assigned a static IP Address. The DHCP server is set to work with DHCP and BOOTP protocols. I am including some screen shots of what I have. The display on the ENBT shows ok- 10.5.55.100. It shows configured in RSLinx and shows to have the IP address in the tree in controllogix. Could someone look at these and tell me if I need to change something.

You need a network mask, like 255.255.255.0.

Once the IP Address of the card is set.. I should be able to ping it from my enterprise network... I did right click on the ethernet and chose properties. This is what I show...

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg

Prayder,

The list of "Expected EtherNet/IP Addresses" should include the Ethernet Nodes expected to be browsed to from the 1756-ENBT module that are on the same Subnet i.e. selected from the list of "Available IP Addresses" on the left. You are just adding the IP address of the ENBT module (10.5.55.100) itself into this list. You have to explicitly inform RSLinx Classic of the expected IP addresses, else it will see nothing. You need to know the IP addresses of the other devices (drives, etc.) you want to browse to and then add them across.

Did you look at/follow the Technote I linked above?

Regards,
George

So you are saying that I need to add the 192 IP Addresses of the plc, drives and everything else connected to that backplane.. and then I will be able to "see" the 10.5.55.100 on my enterprise network?