Stratix 8000 communications to Stratix 6000 via SFP

gryskop

I want to use a Stratix 8000 (1783-MS10T) with Expansion module 1783-MX08F as the master switch to communicate to 8 node groups via Stratix 6000 1783-EMS08T using the SFP port on the Stratix 6000 as link via MultiMode fibre to the Stratix 8000 switch.

A colleague of mine says that he read in some manual that the Stratix 6000 SFP modules can only communicate with other Stratix 6000 switches and that it will not work with the Stratix 8000’s. Is this true?

Will my design work?

False. A switch is a switch and all stratix switches work with each other just finejust make sure your SFP is the same type on both switches nd make sure that SFP is supported on both.

Some of the older stratix firmwares did not support all SFP's.

Thanks,

I do see in the manuals that the Stratix 6000 only supports the SFP's for 1GB and not 100MB. I think it's a bit dumb. Why allow for a 1GB connection if the switch cannot even support rapid spanning tree like the 8000 series can?

We will go with the 8000's. I'm running my plant on 100MB only. The 1GB is reserved for the SCADA and PLC communication backbone.

Anybody know if any commercial grade SFP transceiver will work with a Stratix 8000/8300. RA has a note, in the Fiber Optic Infrastructure guide;
Note: It is important not to use generic, non-industrial SFP modules with Stratix switches to avoid performance and reliability problems

This seems to me like the typical vendor, "Don't use anything other than our stuff because, because...."

Anybody know if any commercial grade SFP transceiver will work with a Stratix 8000/8300. RA has a note, in the Fiber Optic Infrastructure guide;
Note: It is important not to use generic, non-industrial SFP modules with Stratix switches to avoid performance and reliability problems

This seems to me like the typical vendor, "Don't use anything other than our stuff because, because...."

These work.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/result.aspx?key=stratix compatible&wclsscat=&b=&p=&ctlgfilter=&searchscope=all&sr=1

Should be yes as the Stratix is just a rebranded Cisco switch with tweaked firmware to make it integrate with Logix 5000.

I have seen some SFP's that would work but may not show status in the Switch web server GUI, etc..