profibus network between Siemens S5 and S7 PLC

Leonardo

L
I want to make a profibus communication between below mentions Siemens devices:S5-155 U with an IM308-C, this must be the masterS7-314C-2DP, this is one of the slavesTP170B, as slave for the S7-314C-2DPI have no much experience with profibus, but I collected some information and this is what I know yet:To make the profibus configuration I will have to use com profibus (because the S5 is the master). I also will need the GSD-files of the slave devices to be added to com profibusIn the Simatic manager I will have to configure my S7-314C-2DP and TP170B as slave.So far do good…? (please correct me if I am wrong or if there is a better way)What I do not know is how to write my communication program (as the S5 is the master I assume my program has to written in S5?)Is the someone of you have experience with a similar project of knows how to solve my problem? Maybe somebody could provide me with a example?Anyway, all kinds of suggestions are very welcome! Thanks Leonardo

When you configure the 314 you'll need to set it up as a DP slave, then assign virtual I/O addresses. When you configure the IM308C in COM Profibus you assign I/O addresses in the 155U to the 314. All communication is across these virtual I/O. Make sure you're configurations are consistent...1 byte of outputs configured on the S7-314 must correspond to 1 byte of inputs on the IM308C/155U.

Thank you for your reply. I thinks I understand now how to do the hardware configuration of my network. But, could someone tell how which code I have to write to exchange data between the PLC ‘s? If someone had an example project, that should be great, but any other helps of course is welcome!

S5 to S7 Profibus

I'm doing this a bit differently with a 115/944b and a 318dp with a TP-27 as the OP. Rather than map the profibus as I/O (DP) through the IM 306 I set up two data blocks in the 115. It still looks like physical I/O in the s7 but in the s5 the data resides as data words. I did this because I had too much I/O to move any other way. The DP control overhead pushed my byte count over the limit.

There is a S5 funciton block avalible from the Siemens web site, FB192 that handles the transfers. As I recall there was a working example as well. The feature here is that you have the data avalible in data blocks where you can get your arms around it in the S5. The drawback is the programing is not for the novice. You must pay close attention to the fact that everything is moved as bytes!

Oh I stuck the OP on MPI because I had the extra port and it was easy. If you would like a copy of the framework I used...IM-306, S7 and S5 you can send me an email at [email protected] and I'll be happy to share.

Lenny

S5 Profibus communication to S7

Hello, I read your thread on the internet about s5 to s7 communications. I have a S7155U that currently talks to some Siemens Masterdrives (SC , CU2) over Profibus through an IM308C module. In the past when one of the old style L2 profibus Masterdrives failed and we couldn't find them anymore because they have been obsolete for 20 years I replaced them with the newer masterdrives (MC, CUMC) drives. I was able to find a slave gsd in the com profibus software and was able to remap the newer Masterdrives with the new slave GSD using the same addresses as in the old.
I now have the problem where we cannot get anymore Masterdrive MC's. I purchased a Sinamics S120 (CU320) drive controller that can handle up to six drives. I bought an S7315-2PN/DP Siemens processor. This new processor needs to talk to the S120 drive section over Ethernet. I have this section configured and completed.
The problem I am having is the communication from the S5 to the S7. This is over Profibus. I tried to use the S7315 gsd file for a slave on the com profibus network and put my S7 Profibus network in slave mode. Couldn't get it to communicate. I also tried adding an IM308C as the slave in the S7 hardware configuration and added the same IM308C GSD file in the Com Profibus network as a slave. It did not work.
The S5 is set for Q page addressing. In all the examples I have seen the addressing is set for Linear. I cannot change this because there are 10 more old Masterdrives on the same network. If I change the addressing scheme I will possibly mess those drives up.
Any suggestions?
Thank you!

With a IM308C it should be possible to use the S5 as DP master and the S7 as DP slave, as it's described in this Siemens FAQ:

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/de/en/view/6709721

For the other direction (S7 as master, S5 as slave) there is also an article:

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/ww/en/view/6556876

A different solution can be using a S5 LAN adapter which is available from Process Informatik here in germany, there are other manufacturers of similar devices. You connect it to the AG (AS 511) port of the S5. It has an ethernet port which you connect to your network of the S7. Then you can read or write S5 datablocks by using the Put/Get functions of the S7 without any programming inside the S5. I've used the adapters many times during plant conversions from S5 to S7.

The IM308-C can be be used as a Master and Slave concurrently.

If you want to keep the S7 as a Profibus master:
Before the steps in the attached document, you add a "Default Host" in COM Profibus to represent the Profibus master that talks to the IM308-C. The IM308-C slave should be assigned to the Default Master. You'll have 2 master systems: one for your existing IM308-C master, and the new Default Master.

The master in my case was a ControlLogix PLC, but it should work for S7 as well.

If you want to change the S7 to Profibus Slave:
Then it should just be a matter of adding the correct S7 slave device in COM Profibus with I/O addresses that are not used in the program, and using that assigned I/O in your S5 and S7 programs, like this link that was posted earlier:

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/de/en/view/6709721

Another option if you want to isolate the networks completely, is to add an additional IM308-C and have it communicate to your S7. I'm not sure how feasible that is for you (eg: available slots in the S5, new cable run, 2nd IM308-C availability).

If you like, you can send me your COM Profibus file and S5 program, to see what I/O ranges you could choose.

IM308C_as_master_and_slave.png

Have you considered swapping out the S5? That's just as obsolete as the masterdrive series.

As mentioned above though, a DP/DP coupler would be the easiest option.

If Jim managed to get an MC masterdrive attached as slave to the IM308C via a gsd file, I dont see why it shouldnt be possible with a 315 as DP slave. Maybe the setup of the 315 as DP slave wasnt done correctly or wasnt loaded onto the 315 correctly.
If there is nothing else on the 315's DP port than the connection to the IM308C, it would be an unnecessary extra step to stick a DP/DP coupler between them.

Apart from that, I wholeheartedly concur with recommending to replace the S5 as soon as possible.

So he sent you the S5 and S7 programs ?
Yeah, even with a DP/DP Coupler, the data has to be mirrored 1-to-1 on both sides.
Another thing, does he need to coordinate the bus parameters ? Or do the 315 as DP slave simply get the bus parameters from the IM308C as DP master ?