PLC on different Newtork from router

kjuven

I have a PLC on a 192.168 . . network and I want to set up communication through a router that is on a 172.15.. network. How do I go about that?

Some of Siemen's Scalance switches have NAT capabilities.

If the router is already in place, and you want the PLC to be accessible on the 172.15 network, you can set the router as the gateway for the PLC.

If you need a NAT router to isolate the PLC from the rest of the plant, the Siemens solution would be an S615.

Many of the Siemens PLCs have optional ethernet cards as well, which can be added to the rack to add a 2nd ethernet interface in a different subnet. Some of them even have multiple ethernet interfaces built into the CPU.

Brand of router shouldn't matter.

However, the protocols they need to talk can really affect what network options are possible. The switch/router shouldn't care what devices use it, although it might have special features for certain protocols. And some other protocols will never work in a NAT or routed configuration at all.

You should be able to download to a siemens PLC via an S7 connection via a few different kinds of NAT, or direct routing. Profinet IO will never work through a router, regardless of brand. Protocols like FTP and OPC UA can get confused if they go through NAT, and the client/server don't know how to handle it.