Red Lion Crimson 3 ControlLogix Driver Question

glubash

I've been using Crimson 3 with ControlLogix and am wondering what is the best driver to use. I started with 'Native Tag Addressing' because that seemed the most straightforward (all of my HMI tags are global tags).

The problem that I have run into is that when a few changes are made on the PLC side (typically additional tags) and I import another CSV file, the object references get messed up and shift to a different tag. Is this typical behavior? After going through fixing that a couple of times, whenever I needed to add new tags, I now just type them in.

I have not experimented with the L5K method.

I have seen a few recommendations to build a tag list in Crimson and then use that for all objects. Initially, this seemed like a of extra effort vs. direct addressing via the CSV.

Comments and recommendations welcome. Thanks!

One driver, I forget which, can only import a tag list generated by Logix5k and there is absolutely no way to manually add a tag.

The mess up you refer to is well know, IIRC, only happens in you do the import from inside a screen object. It works OK when done in the Database / Driver section.

That said, I make Crimson tags that have L5K tags as addresses. While a little extra work, it provides so much more flexibility.

Thanks for the information! I believe that it is the L5K method that does not allow you to manually add tags.

I'm pretty new to Crimson and am still working out the details. I'll try doing an import from the DB/Driver section and see what happens.

All help is appreciated!