OT: Coronavirus do you care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the current death rate is just under 10.5%

Coincidence the poster I posted last week says the virus was created to reduce the population by 11.5%?

Some bio-scientist group is patting themselves on the back and sipping ****tails right now.

+1 for Aabeck. There are folks who advocate that when one is old, sick, unable to work and generally a burden that said folks "sap" happiness from others.

So those "happiness sappers" as it were, need to be eliminated. This is called Bioethics, and one who practices such thinking is a Bioethicist. There was something about someone named Singer who advocated this. It's very real. You may be right about the guys high-fiving themselves right now. David Baldacci, although a fiction writer, wrote a book about this very thing, and in the afterword in the book he explained what I just wrote about.

There are folks who advocate that when one is old, sick, unable to work and generally a burden that said folks "sap" happiness from others. So those "happiness sappers" as it were, need to be eliminated. This is called Bioethics, and one who practices such thinking is a Bioethicist.
I can hardly imagine a more perverted definition of bioethics.

So, the current death rate is just under 10.5%
We know that serves as an upper bound for mortality. Since many will die before those who are going to recover get cleared. It also represents sample bias, those with mild symptoms don't get tested, so will not add to the number of 'recovered' cases.

Take a look at the numbers for the Diamond Princess. This represents a population where for the large part the disease swept through and has run it's course.

712 tested positive
7 died
527 recovered
178 still active (14 are in serious or critical condition).

So, (7 deaths/ 534 resolved cases) = 1.3% mortality. Much, much, lower than 10.5%.

I'm not gonna say this isn't serious, but its not the zombie apocalypse either.

Coincidence the poster I posted last week says the virus was created to reduce the population by 11.5%?
Absolutely. They probably made the poster to match (then) current data.

712 tested positive
7 died
527 recovered
178 still active (14 are in serious or critical condition).

So, (7 deaths/ 534 resolved cases) = 1.3% mortality. Much, much, lower than 10.5%.

I'm not gonna say this isn't serious, but its not the zombie apocalypse either.

Unless you or your loved one is one of the 7 or 14 for that matter, it affects your lungs and breathing, I have had pneumonia 4 times, I dont want it a 5th... I have issues, to me it is the "zombie apocalypse" and not the way I want to go out.

Unless you or your loved one is one of the 7 or 14 for that matter, it affects your lungs and breathing, I have had pneumonia 4 times, I dont want it a 5th... I have issues, to me it is the "zombie apocalypse" and not the way I want to go out.
True, if you're affected directly or indirectly it will always be bad. For those seven and their families it is obviously traumatic. If you're the one to die it is the literal end of the world.

The seasonal flu kills thousands in the US alone, every single year but we still somehow managed to keep toilet paper on the shelves, the airlines flying, and went about our humdrum daily lives even though thousands of our neighbors were dying.

Last edited:
You cant compare this to the flu. This is spreading far more easly and thus making the hospitals overcrowded and the need for respirators are high in demand. And there isnt a vaccine like it is for the flu.

You cant compare this to the flu. This is spreading far more easly and thus making the hospitals overcrowded and the need for respirators are high in demand. And there isnt a vaccine like it is for the flu.
My point was you can't compare this to a world-ending zombie apocalypse either. The mortality is much higher than the seasonal flu but it is not some mad scientists scheme to end the world with a disease that causes 100% mortality.

People stirring up fear and hatred are going to be the trigger for the real apocalypse. I'm just waiting to hear of someone getting shot to death over a twelve pack of Charmin.

How are the Scandinavians handeling the problem?

I only know that Denmark has closed its boarders.

So what is the strategy in Nothern-Europe?

I really and truly believe this virus was created in a lab.

Either a test was done in China, or the lab had a "ventilation release"

There were some statements that China had dumped some lab test animals to the local market.

How are the Scandinavians handeling the problem?
I only know that Denmark has closed its boarders.
So what is the strategy in Nothern-Europe?
Denmark:
All schools, universities, kindergartens, official functions (except critical), restaurants, movie theaters, real theaters, bars, sports events, hair salons, ... are CLOSED.
Company employees are adviced to work from home.
Public gatherings or more than 10 persons are PROHIBITED. Violations are fined. The police is patrolling to ensure that the rules are upheld.
There are distance markers in the floors at the checkout in supermarkets. Most shops has gel dispenser and/or plastic gloves free to use.

Myself, I am working from home.

Norway, is implementing almost as strict rules as Denmark.

Sweden has somewhat relaxed rules for now. Up to 500 persons is allowed to assemble.

This is my prediction for how it will play out in Denmark.
In the next 14 days the virus infections will peak.
In 2 months the virus infection rate will have dropped down to almost zero.
Even after the infection rate drops, the precautions will only be lifted gradually for another 6-12 months.
New methods for containing the virus while slowly allowing the economy to return to normal will be implemented. There will be more testing. Most people will return to their normal work, but there will be measures at the workplaces to limit contact, strict regimen for sanitizing hands, etc.
There will be a "corona-VISA" for people that shall be allowed to travel due to their skill is criticaly needed.
There will be government subsidies and tax exemptions to save small businesses from going bust, and to boost the economy.

Additionally, let's say that tied up 21 respirators. Start adding zeroes to the end and see what happens. I think that's a big problem, you probably could keep the mortality rate down if you had the health infrastructure. I doubt that's the case though....

Status
Not open for further replies.