Welding And Plc's

DENNISH

I AM WORKING ON A APPLICATION IN WHICH PLC'S WILL BE USED IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO MIG WELDERS. MY QUESTION FOR THOSE WHO HAVE SOME EXPERIENCE IN THIS TYPE OF APPLICATION IS.....WILL THE ELECTRICAL SPIKES AND NOISE THAT GO ALONG WITH WELDING AFFECT MY PLC? WOULD A M.O.V. BE ENOUGH PROTECTION ON THE PLC'S MAIN INPUT POWER? IS CHASSIS GROUNDING THE PLC A GOOD IDEA IN THIS APPLICATION.
ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRICIATED, I WANT TO AVOID BLOWING UP MY PLC'S DURING THE FIRST WEEK OF OPERATION.

In the past, the plants that I have worked in have always had 2 seperate 480V buss's. One being for the weld controllers and the other for the panels that house the plc equipment. If you do not have this option I would at least install a isolation regulation transformer to feed the plc. A recommended grounding procedures should be followed.

Follow basic isolation like mentionned above and there should be no trouble... UNLESS you have them equiped with TTL encoders... then you should have diferentiative inputs to solve it. (I wonder if diferentiative is a word that exist?)

Pierre said:
Follow basic isolation like mentionned above and there should be no trouble... UNLESS you have them equiped with TTL encoders... then you should have diferentiative inputs to solve it. (I wonder if diferentiative is a word that exist?)

The word you are look for is: differential
Le mot vous êtes recherchez est: différentiel

I hope the French made sense. It looks close to me. I used http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

I learned to use babelfish when translating the French Grafcet sites to English.

We have a spot welder that averages a weld of 12000 amps with a SLC for the controls and it has a regular ol' step down trans for the 110 to the plc. But the light curtains and panelview are on a Sola (24 VDC), the servo controls (5-15 VDC) have a seperate Sola, and the I/O (24 VDC) have their own Sola. We have had it several years, works fine.

At the bottom of the page is a little drop-down for translating threads. Don't know how useful, but it is fun to translate into another language and back again and see how it changes.

Rick Densing said:
At the bottom of the page is a little drop-down for translating threads. Don't know how useful, but it is fun to translate into another language and back again and see how it changes.

Yes, and it warm my heart to see that the most important international languages are there, like Spanish, French, German and Norwegian........ :D

I hope the French made sense. It looks close to me. I used http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

I initially tried to integrate babelfish here for the translation but they have a size limit.(150words if I remember correctly) So, it wouldn't work for this purpose. I also like it because it does japanese to english.:)
Then I tried the translation offered by Lycos. Same word limit. So, I integrated the one used now... without a limit.

kalle said:

Yes, and it warm my heart to see that the most important international languages are there, like Spanish, French, German and Norwegian........ :D

So Kalle... how close is the Norwegian translation? I'm just curious.
Phil

Translation

Hi Phil

I used the translator to translate this thread, and well...

I don't think I would recommend anyone to use it for the purpose to learn Norwegian syntax... :)

One example: "So Kalle... how close is the Norwegian translation? I'm just curious." is translated to something like: "Therefor closing Kalle... How is Norwegian translation? I'm exactly curious."

Words with upper-case letters isn't translated at all.

Personal I use a dictionary (PC program running in the background) to translate those words that I don't know/sure of from/to english.

It works OK I hope (except sentence structure maybe..) But sometimes there are words I can't find translation for, especially from Tom and Pierre..... :D (Pierre, what is "nozzer"?)

regards
Karl Egil

Also note that while there is English-to-Norwegian, there is no Norwegian-to-English in the drop down menu (An oversight, Phil?)

So please, Karl, don't start posting in your native tongue just yet, OK?

There's no translation program in existance (well, maybe the CIA has one) that will translate Tom's Red River persona or Pierre's French-accented English ("Brown nozzer" = "Brown noser"; someone who brown noses. 'Hunderstand?' (No, Pierre, I'm not insulting your English. It's waaaay better than my French (as you have seen.)

Re: Translation

kalle said:
Hi Phil

I used the translator to translate this thread, and well...

I don't think I would recommend anyone to use it for the purpose to learn Norwegian syntax... :)

Yeah, that's what I thought. I get alot of email in Spanish(not sure why though... :confused: ) and I usually go to babelfish to translate it but the translation is barely useful.
I guess you get what you pay for when it comes to translation services :D

Off Topic. C is an international language.

kalle said:

But you know, in a few years time we would all communicate in C-language..... :D

I was in Ireland last year. The integrator was from Japan and could barely speak English. My Japaneese is was worse. I know little more than numbers and to ask for another beer. We had an intrepeter ( non techinical ) but it was easier to write algorithms in C to explain the alogrithms. We both understood 'C'. Everything went well. C is an internaltional language.

I have also had to figure out Profibus 'C' code written using German variable and subroutine names. Kalle may not be too far off. At least in the software field.