Well this is a first... Siemens LOGO on Linux, MacOS and Windows

cardosocea

I was just now looking for the Siemens LOGO programming software as I have a project coming up to modify a program with one and on the Siemens download page find that it is now available for Windows, Linux and MacOS.

https://w3.siemens.com//mcms/progra...-module-logo/demo-software/pages/default.aspx

This must surely be a first in the world of Automation, no?
I understand it makes sense, particularly for the small automation range, but it's a first for me.

Do you guys know of any other automation software available for other OS's other than Windows?

I've used SCADA systems that supported many platforms, but never automation. Of course, they do it via Java, which usually means a million other problems....

Granted it's not ideal... but it's better than nothing and ahead of other brands.

This being said, Microsoft has Visual Studio for MacOSX. I wonder if their Connected Components range would be easier to port to other OS's.

Microsoft have Visual Studio Code for Linux.

Hopefully now a lot of embedded devices use Linux, we will start to see manufacturers move into the Linux space. CoDeSys would be an ideal port to Linux. Wago have controllers running a stripped down Linux system too.

This is definitely not Windows based...

5tisystem.jpg

ABB Advant Master (MasterPiece) runs on HP Unix. There's still new controllers being manufactured in this range even though it's "kind of" old.

Hopefully now a lot of embedded devices use Linux, we will start to see manufacturers move into the Linux space. CoDeSys would be an ideal port to Linux. Wago have controllers running a stripped down Linux system too.

That is correct, Wago is one of the vendors that have controllers running Linux. There is also a codesys runtime for the Raspberry Pi (which runs Linux), allows you to program it with Codesys 3.5. Not as robust as an industrial PLC mind you, but very nice for learning.

But all of these are cases where the PLC runtime is implemented on a Linux controller. The development software is only available for Windows though (e.g. straight CoDeSys or vendor specific versions like Wago E!****pit, Twincat from Beckhoff).

I was just now looking for the Siemens LOGO programming software as I have a project coming up to modify a program with one and on the Siemens download page find that it is now available for Windows, Linux and MacOS.

https://w3.siemens.com//mcms/progra...-module-logo/demo-software/pages/default.aspx

This must surely be a first in the world of Automation, no?
I understand it makes sense, particularly for the small automation range, but it's a first for me.

Do you guys know of any other automation software available for other OS's other than Windows?

LOGO!Soft Comfort is a Java based Software and Java runs on Windows , linux and MacOS .