GE Logicmaster 90 comm port issue

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a 90-30 plc and a Cutler Hammer Panelmate for HMI.
The backplane was replaced due to erratic connection of PS (it is 90-30 with CPU in backplane).
I can connect to the plc logic by changing the port parity to "None". Downloaded logic and it is connected and all good.
But the Panelmate will not connect when I plug the HMI cable in.
I have also tried Odd and Even, I loose plc logic connection when I do this, but Panelmate will will still not connect.
Am I setting the port communications correctly? Does it matter if it is setup in Configuration (F2) or PLC Logic (F1) sections?

I had no issue talking to the Panelmate before I swapped backplanes....

It seems like I am not changing the actual port on the 90-30, only how the cable communicates with the port....does that make sense?

Last edited:
I used to work for a distributor who carried both GE PLCs and PanelMate HMIs. I've run into this many times. Older firmware versions of PanelMates were finicky about the SNP ID. Leaving the field blank in the PLC is not the same as an SNP ID of zero. Best advice is to use a value of 1 for the SNP ID in both the PLC and the PanelMate.

I used to work for a distributor who carried both GE PLCs and PanelMate HMIs. I've run into this many times. Older firmware versions of PanelMates were finicky about the SNP ID. Leaving the field blank in the PLC is not the same as an SNP ID of zero. Best advice is to use a value of 1 for the SNP ID in both the PLC and the PanelMate.

Shouldn't the SNP ID be stored with the 90-30 LM90 logic and configuration? If I loaded original logic to new rack, wouldn't the SNP ID be carried over?

Should be, but my experience is that the SNP ID is not necessarily included in the Logicmaster configuration file. I have had to manually set it. There may have been some secret handshake you had to do to get it saved, similar to what you have to do to get the register values saved.

Still trying to get it to connect...
Tried all parities (odd, even , none) and changing SNP to 1
Buying Cutler Hammer Power Pro software so I can see HMI configuration..Hopefully it will see Power Pro 1575.

Arghhhh...

Do you have a backup copy of the Panel Mate configuration. If you do post it here or email it to me and I can check what SNP ID it is using. Could save you time and dollars.

Another possibility is to connect the Panel Mate to a PC running HyperTerminal. Save the character string, post it, and I can try to decode the SNP ID out of it.

The file is for a PanelMate 1500, not a 1700. The 1500 was one generation earlier than the 1700.

At any rate, based on the file, the PanelMate port is set to communicate with SNP ID 0 using RS232 at 19200, 8 data bits 1 stop bit, parity none. The file sets up PanelMate port 1.

The file is for a PanelMate 1500, not a 1700. The 1500 was one generation earlier than the 1700.

At any rate, based on the file, the PanelMate port is set to communicate with SNP ID 0 using RS232 at 19200, 8 data bits 1 stop bit, parity none. The file sets up PanelMate port 1.

OOps....forgot to mention it was a 1575H PanelMate.
So I guess SNP 0 is what it is...and parity is NONE.
Thanks for opening..saves some money..
....owe you one...

YEA!
When I changed the SNP back to 0 it started working!

By the way....can you print out any details from the 1575H configuration I sent you?
The customer now wants me to swap out the PanelMate with a Quickpanel...it would be nice to have any window information and IO from the Panelmate..