animation/image questions

:ROFLMAO: This is exactly what I am starting with.

This conversation is very interesting. Can't say I'm familiar with HMI (I'll have to look into it) but I can imagine what it consists of. Sounds like I'm having a similar experience as Sapper307. The request for me has been to take P&ID type layout screens and make them incredibly easy to understand. They want to have the graphics look just like make and model of the equipment.

There is nothing wrong with modeling the equipment. But don't do it with 3d graphic tanks and pipes and valves. Use simple lines, with arrows to indicate process directions. And don't put every single IO point on the display, just the necessary ones. Keep diagnostic points invisible behind a maintenance level login.

... or go right ahead and use 3D graphics and animated pipelines, whatever your operator needs dictate. If you need that level of image to convey a process, use it. There's no compelling reason to use one over the other, its just the current wave fed by the need to support mobile devices.
The argument for simple graphics is valid, more so in a larger complicated screen shown through a projector onto a wall. but it's no less valid to use pretty graphics.

The passion in the arguments for HP HMI that everything else ever done is wrong and everyone should do it this way now happens with every new tech wave.

Bottom line, do what works for the people who use it. Make them happy.

Interesting point on HP graphic. While it make seemingly good points, it has never been properly tested in a critical fashion. In other word, it never been proven in a scientific manner.

What I ended up doing these days to incorporate what I think are the good stuff from HP, like less blazing colors, consistent layout and color scheme, short-term trends, and analog gauges but also show some mimic of the process along side.

There has been much testing in that the bland screen causes your eye to be drawn to something that is out of place more easily, those being conditions out of the norm. It also addresses color blindness. So the idea makes sense in the abstract. But there is something unquantifiable to be said for a comfortable looking screen that instantly lets you see a process.

It will eventually settle down into a hybrid of ideas like everything always does.