Siemens OP5 and S5 how to... Software missing? Thx.

Luke21

Hi,

I am new to the PLCs, I am more used to PCs and Micro controllers, but I got an S5-100U CPU103 with an OP5 panel that I have to get working. I have 3 disks from siemens with COROS COM TEXT on them, that i installed and got running. I communicated with the OP5 and got de default software transferred and running.

Now comes the part where I am missing something. The S5, back in 1994 was used for some experiment, I was hopping the old program was still in the EEPROM, but when I got the OP5 and the S5 plugged together I got the message : $613(Data block does not exist or is too short)=> I have to create a DB of requisite length in the PLC. I thought that maybe the comm. protocol in which the S5 was originally programmed is different from the one I choose on the OP5 so I tried them all with no luck. I guess I am stuck in rewriting the program. The problem is that I don t know what to use to do so. When I run Comtext (by s5.com) I get 2 options : 1- Comtext V3.10 2- Convert V2.1. I have no clue what software to use to communicate with the PLC, I only have the original manual for step5 but I guess that the disks were lost.

-Is there any other program I could use?
-Will ProTool solve my problem, I already know that It wont work for the OP5 since my panel is firmware v1.02, can I upgrade it, there is no reference on Siemens page?
-From what I read I also need an RS232/TTY converter to get it to work, Is there a way to get the program through the OP5 to the PLC?
- I also have some Graph III manuals, but still don t have the software, can someone clarify what is the simple way of getting this to work, step5, Graph 5/II, Comtext or ProTool?

Any feedback is welcome. If you can e-mail me the software that I miss (step5), if any.

Thank you
Lukasz A.

Last edited:
Dear Lukasz,

The error $613 indicates that the OP is trying to communicate with your plc, but he's not finding the correct DB.

Or your DB is not present in the plc, or the lenght is not right.

Check your OP-program to verify the number of DB you used, and then check if this DB is present in the AG.

Kind regards,

Bert

Hello !
In the old S5 world you have to program the communication blocks DB,PB,FB and so on.
It does NOT function like the new OP-panels.
I remember that it was very tricky to get the communication to work.
You will need the standard block for the type of communication you have choosen. Then make the right DB:s (send,recive mailboxes X2 and so on) have to be the right size and looks.
Look in old OP-panel manuals, usually the standard blocks (+examples) are in a folder in the Coros programs.

Hi every body

I´m searching for the Software ComText (Comtext V3.10 and Convert V2.1) from Siemens, to download the original project into a OP5 panel.

Some one can help me.

Thanks in advance.
Tony