Allen Bradley SLC 504 networking

I know its not what you asked but.
Just to throw in another option in, For the cost of 2, 1784-PKTX cards, one for each computer, you could probably install a control logix gateway .
That requires a 4 slot rack, a power supply, an Enbt card, and a Dh+ rio card.
then use ethernet as comms

Another option is to use 1761-NETENI's.
Probably good enough, and certainly less expensive than 2xPKTX or a CLX rack with ENBT and DHRIO.

edit: Oops, I thought there were just 2 SLC5/04 PLCs.
If the number of SLC5/04's is relatively small, then it may be worth investigating, otherwise not.

edit again: Actually, I recommend that you state exactly how many PLCs, and how many DH+ networks there are (only one ?). And how much data must be transferred ?
DH+ is much better than DH485, but is not extremely performant. If you let 2 PCs poll a lot of data from just 4-5 PLCs, you may already be at the limit.
The 1761-NETENI's may still be the smartest choice.

Last edited:
I will be networking 8 504's with one DH+ network. The PC'c will only be used for remote trouble shooting and some data gathering probably will be downloading from one of these PC's as well.

Well the application will be where the desktop PC's are located in two different offices. The blue hose will start in the first office run through 7 machines looped through the small three prong connector on the 504s. Then it will terminate in the second office at the second desktop PC. It seems I will need a means to go from the blue hose directly into the desktops.
So you have 7 x SLC5/04 + 2 PCs.
Depending on how much data shall be polled or exchanged via messaging, that may be at the limit of what can be done with DH+. You may have to go to 230K to get enough bandwidth.

7 x 1761-NET-ENI's will set you back 7 x 760 USD = 5320 USD.
2 x 1784-PKTX will set you back 2 x 1835 USD = 3670 USD.
1 CLX rack + PSU + DHRIO + ENBT will set you back approx 4500 USD.
Dont know about the DL3500.

Depending on what shall be done on the PCs, you may need some software as well.

Also, he could do it with (1) 1784-PKTX and a license for RSLinx Classic Gateway.

If he splits it into two networks, use the 1784-PKTXD which costs more, but he should be able to handle more data without delays that way.

So many ways to skin this cat...

Paul

I will be networking 8 504's with one DH+ network. The PC'c will only be used for remote trouble shooting and some data gathering probably will be downloading from one of these PC's as well.
So it is 8 SLC5/04's now.
You really need to figure out how much data that has to be "gathered". How much and how often. 10 DH+ nodes may be at the limit.
I think that each DHRIO module has 2 DH+ channels. That can be utilised to split into 2 DH+ networks, doubling the bandwidth. Can someone confirm this ?