You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 14th, 2020, 02:51 PM   #1
ebangor
United States

Connecting to a VersaMax micro plc

I'm trying to utilize a PLC that my employer already had on hand for a project. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get my computer and the PLC to actually connect.

I'm using a VeraMax Micro IC200UAL005, and VersaPro v2.04. I know the software is really old, but it's what we already had, and I'm trying to make use of existing equipment. The power and OK lights indicated that the PLC does go through its normal startup sequence when power is connected without issue.

My laptop doesn't have any serial ports, only USB-A, USB-C, ethernet, and HDMI.

I read that finding a USB-to-DB15 adapter that works is really hit-or-miss (the one I purchased seems to be a no-go). I'm not opposed to wiring up my own RJ-45 cable to connect to the PLC, but I haven't been able to find much information on what I need on the PC side of the connection.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on what I cna do to get the PLC and my PC to talk?
Old February 14th, 2020, 03:22 PM   #2
Steve Bailey
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

The 15-pin port on the UAL005 is RS485, not RS232, so you need a USB/RS485 converter if you want to use that port.
The manual for the VersaMax Micro line is publication number GFK-1645. The pin details for the ports start on page 13-29 of GFK-1645G.
If you decide to make your own DB9 to RJ45 cable, you will probably only need signals Tx, Rx, and GND. Rx on the VersaMax side is pin 3 which gets connected to Tx on the DB9 side, generally pin 3. Tx on the VersaMax side is pin 4 which gets connected to Rx on the DB9 side, generally pin 2. GND on the VersaMax side is pin 8 which connects to GND on the DB9, generally pin 5. When looking at the VersaMax RJ45 port, pin 8 is toward the top. If the pin connections I specified above don't work try swapping the wires on pins 2 and 3 on the DB9 side.
The default port parameter settings are the same for both ports and the default settings in VersaPro software are the same as those for the PLC, 19200 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit odd parity.
Old February 17th, 2020, 08:48 AM   #3
ebangor
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bailey View Post
If you decide to make your own DB9 to RJ45 cable, you will probably only need signals Tx, Rx, and GND. Rx on the VersaMax side is pin 3 which gets connected to Tx on the DB9 side, generally pin 3. Tx on the VersaMax side is pin 4 which gets connected to Rx on the DB9 side, generally pin 2. GND on the VersaMax side is pin 8 which connects to GND on the DB9, generally pin 5. When looking at the VersaMax RJ45 port, pin 8 is toward the top. If the pin connections I specified above don't work try swapping the wires on pins 2 and 3 on the DB9 side.
If I make a DB9-RJ45 cable, would that connect to the RS232 port (port 1) on the PLC?

All of the USB-RS485 adapters I can find terminate in either DB9 or a clamp-style terminal block. So would I need to daisy-chain the USB port on my laptop to the USB-RS485 adapter, connect the RS485 connection to the DB9 end of the RJ45, and then plug the RJ45 into the RS232 port (port 1) on the PLC?

I'm a little lost because you mention the DB9 connection, as does the manual, but there is no DB9 terminal on the PLC, and I don't think I've seen anything but USB ports on a computer in years. So I'm not sure where that connection goes.

I'm perfectly content to purchase and wire up whatever adapters I need, I just want to make sure I'm not purchasing the wrong cables.
Old February 17th, 2020, 09:18 AM   #4
OkiePC
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Buy one from here:
https://www.plccable.com/ge-fanuc-sc...dicon-proface/

I am not intimate with GE PLCs, but on that page are some that appear to match what you and Steve have described.

The guy who sells them is a forum member who guarantees his products and I have shamelessly plugged his site numerous times and bought a lot of cables and other hardware from him with 100% success.
Old February 17th, 2020, 09:23 AM   #5
padees
United States

I've used these interface connectors from ASI in the past for making my own cables to connect to a few pieces of hardware including a couple GE. I just cut one end off a RJ45 patch cable and wire it to the terminals. They have both male and female DB9. Made it easy.

As OkiePC stated, Mark also sells the cables.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11000.jpg (66.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by padees; February 17th, 2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old February 17th, 2020, 09:32 AM   #6
Steve Bailey
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

USB to RS232 converters are a lot more common than USB to RS485. If you have a USB to RS485 converter you will connect to the 15-pin port on the PLC. If you have a USB to RS232 converter you will connect to the RJ45 port on the PLC.
When I referred to a DB9 connector I was referring to a USB to serial converter that terminates in a DB9.
Old February 17th, 2020, 09:41 AM   #7
padees
United States

My A-B USB to Serial has a DB9 that I just plugged into the ASI... RussB emailed me a pic of the pinouts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IC200CBL500.JPG (40.0 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by padees; February 17th, 2020 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Added pic
Old February 17th, 2020, 09:57 AM   #8
padees
United States

It would be easier just getting one from Mark. I didn't know Mark back then when I had to rig this up.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum