Allen Bradley Modbus TCP

adamski

I have the Allen Bradley ControlLogix PLC on a working installation. I want to exchange data to DCS (master system) via Modbus TCP protocol, but without any programming of the ControlLogix PLC.
Is there a gateway to exchange data between the Allan Bradley controller and the Modbus master?
PLC has an Ethernet card.
Prosoft gateways require configuration (add data exchange tables) in StudioLogix/RSLogix.

A computer with an AB driver to get the values you want and a Modbus driver to supply these to the DCS system.

Or another AB PLC to serve as the gateway.

without any programming of the ControlLogix PLC.

This eliminates the in-chassis Prosoft modules, which are probably the most reliable method, and the Rockwell Modbus/TCP sample code implementation, which is the most labor-intensive.

My recommendations would be the Red Lion DataStation Plus protocol converter, or an RTA 460-series gateway.

Spectrum Controls has a new easy-to-use gateway type product as well but I'm not sure if it's on the market yet.

I'm a big fan of the HMS Anybus and Communicator devices, but one of the best things about them is that they are configured easily via an Add-On Profile in Studio 5000.

In this particular application, modification of the ControlLogix program is not desired, so that disqualifies the HMS devices.

Both the Red Lion and RTA devices initiate communication to tags inside the ControlLogix without modification of the controller program.

Thanks "Ken Roach" for explaining the part about (without modification to the program) - I did read that but it did not sink in.

I'm sorry for not paying more attention to what is being said!

Thanks

I agree that the Anybus gateways are good and they have good support (but you may need it). I've also used Moxa gateways and they are good too. The RTA gateways are VERY simple to set up and use. They are all good, it depends on what you need out of them. For simple brute force protocol conversion, I like the RTA approach.

Last edited:
This eliminates the in-chassis Prosoft modules, which are probably the most reliable method, and the Rockwell Modbus/TCP sample code implementation, which is the most labor-intensive.

My recommendations would be the Red Lion DataStation Plus protocol converter, or an RTA 460-series gateway.
Spectrum Controls has a new easy-to-use gateway type product as well but I'm not sure if it's on the market yet.

It's not but it's close. It will do exactly what you are looking to do I.E. no programming on either the PLC or Modbus device (that is assuming that you already have tags and registers that you can get data to and from). They also don't need any software for configuration, they use a web browser. The only requirement is that the Modbus TCP device needs to be a server not a client but my understanding (although a little limited outside the AB world) is that most Modbus TCP devices can be setup as either a server or client.

One drawback to the MicroLogix 1400 as a data broker is that it can't natively read ControlLogix tags.

While the "no programming of the ControlLogix" may not prohibit configuration of a PCCC/Logix data table that would allow access to specific ControlLogix array tags with INT and REAL data types, it might really mean "we cannot make any changes to the ControlLogix, even small ones".

The ML1100 won't do Modbus TCP. The ML1400 can do it though. (Both can do Modbus RTU on their serial ports).

You are right sorry, that projet i did, was for modbus RTU Master and right after, i did a ML1400 with TCP. I assumed the ethernet of the 1100 work like a 1400 since it is the same platform but it isn't.

Ken also point a good one, I had control of both side to map in each soft like you would do inside a single gateway program...
It was more like a cheap than a great option...