1747 PIC to WinXP?

poiuy

I'm trying to connect a PIC to a Windows XP Pro box, but for some reason, the PIC driver is not on the list. It's RSLinx 2.3, and I've installed the same version of RSLinx and the the same PIC on a Win95 machine with success. Why is the driver missing on WinXP?

You need to upgrade to RSLinx 2.4, it includes the PIC driver, however I'm not sure about support for XP, it works with 2000 Pro.

If you can't get 2.4, there is a patch for 2.3 that includes the driver.

I've had this problem as well.

Could you post a link to the page with the driver? AB.com and rockwellsoftware.com both crash my browser, but their sub pages work fine.
Thanks

I am using PIC now with XP Pro and RSLinx 2.41
It works without any problems, but every time it gives message, that driver is not digitally signed.

The PIC usually wont work with a USB to serial adapter with XP. Its best to have a built in serial port, its possible in some cases to use a pcmcia to serial adapter. The main problem with using XP (and maybe 2K) is a feature, ACPI, that is part of newer laptops. There is a database full of info on this at Rockwell support.

My friend told me that you don't need PIC to program old SLC(DH485)
All it does is convrtion RS232 to RS485.
He uses generic RS485 converter and selects PIC driver in RS linx.
Anyone can confirm this?

I use my PCMCIA card as a pic

On topic, but doesn't answer the above questions....

I use my PCMCIA card as a PIC. Mine came with one cable for the DH+ connection and one for the DH485 connection.

So, if you already have a PCMCIA card, you may want to check into obtaining a DH485 cable for it. This works for me under 2000 profess. and should work under XP.

Just a suggestion in case you run into a dead end using the serial port.

Hi Guys
I Think i can help
First the PIC Box or cable is more then just an RS485 converter their is a transmit control line that allows the PLC device to be master the system will pass around the master to each device 1 at a time devices can only respond if it is a master device.

The PIC Box or cable must be on a com port that uses an IRQ the software will not work without it. USB com ports do not use IRQ's and will not work. I have had conversation with Rockwell tech's on this they are comming out with a USB PIC cable by i don't know when.

The PIC Box or cable must be on a com port that uses an IRQ the software will not work without it. USB com ports do not use IRQ's and will not work.
Not really:
- RSlinks drivers working with Windows port with IRQ handled by Windows.
- USB converter wil not work because RS232 portion of the PIC takes power from serial port and USB converters will not provide enough.

FYI, I got it to work, I had to download the win2k PIC driver. It's running great now. I've read that it's unreliable in XP, but I havn't had any problems yet.