Advice re downloading program from PLC

Sal123

Hi, I'm looking for advice about downloading the program from a PLC and storing it in a form that can easily be uploaded back to a PLC.

I am able to download a program to the handheld programmer and upload it back to the PLC, but since my programmer only holds one program I would like to be able to store the programs elsewhere. At the moment I can store them on my computer but I then have to manually type the whole program back in as the file is in the wrong format to go back onto the programmer.

We used to have plug-in modules for storing the programs but as far as I can see our new PLCs don't have a slot for these.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sorry, forgot to include that info, there are 2 types, Mitsubishi FX3U and Mitsubishi FX2N

Thanks,
Sally

You can get the software, GX Developer or GX Works /2 they are easy to use and you can just store them on your PC

It just needs pointing out to "newcomers" into this world that "download" and "upload" mean different things to different manufacturers.

Some say download is PC or Programmer to PLC, and Upload is PLC to PC or Programmer.

And some say the exact opposite.

Neither are right or wrong, its just the way different developers think, and I'm not getting into a discussion about it.

Just want to point out the pitfalls, when working on different platforms, to be certain you are doing the correct thing.

Adding the words "from" and "to" clarifies the direction, so it is always wise to include them, just as Sal123 has done.

You can "download to" or "download from" - equally you can "upload to" or "upload from".

It sort of makes the words "download" and "upload" superfluous, and both could be replaced by "transfer", just as long as you include the "to" and "from" to make the intention clear.

As mentioned you will need GX developer and a programming cable. And with regard to download and upload I usually follow the specific PLC's manufacturer preference. If they refer to download as PC to PLC then that's how it is otherwise reading their manuals would be too confusing.

Thanks for all your replies, I've got it sorted thanks to your info, the advice is much appreciated!